How reputable is Sara's Home Stay in New York?

Posted by Leah25 
How reputable is Sara's Home Stay in New York?
February 27, 2006 12:49AM
I'm looking for inexpensive housing for an internship for the summer in New York City.

I've found a company called Sara's Home Stay in New York City, they contract with New Yorkers to open their homes to host students from all over the world. They seem to be legitamate and they have great accomodation rates. Has anyone ever heard of them and does anyone know if they are reputable or not?

They seem reputable because I've e-mailed them a bunch of long, detailed questions and they've answered fast, thoroughly and professionally.

But I'd still like to check them out futher to make sure they are who they say they are, since I will have to plunk down a lot of cash to them, I don't want to take any chances.

Can anyone tell how I can find customer reports or complaints about their business? I've already check out the New York Better Business Bureau and the New York City Camber of Commerce for any info about Sara's Homestay but I've turned up nothing, is there anywhere else to look to get info about this company's track record and history?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Dear Leah

I just came across your email. I see that there was no response and I am taking the liberty to write to you.

How can you tell if a company is reputable and will abide to the promises they make?

1- I would call the New York better business bureau and see if there were any complaints.
2- I would call the different associations- New York City and Co., The New York Chamber of Commerce as well as the Student organization Fiyto.
3- I would see if all prices are clearly written in the web site.
4- I would make certain that all conditions including canceling conditions are clearly mentioned also.
5- I would make certain that the name and address and telephone number is clearly mentioned on the web site.
6- I would call on the telephone during business hours and see if a live person answers or if there is an automated message and no one is returning calls.
7- I would make sure that all questions are promptly and clearly answered.
8- I would ask if payments can be made as I go along each month or if the entire payment for several months has to be paid up front. I would of course be suspicious of a company asking me to pay many months up front.

Sincerely, Bernard
Re: How reputable is Sara's Home Stay in New York?
February 28, 2006 03:08AM
Hi Bernard, thank you so mcuh for the suggestions, it was very helpful.

Leah, Sara's looks promising. I liked the homestay option, that is what I do for students studying English in Denver. I love doing it.

Bernard, wow! Great answer. Hope to see more of you on the board smiling smiley
My friend has had several student from sara homestay at her apartment.She infrom me the they are a good company . I just apply to sara homestay to be a host
BE CAREFUL with this company! It broke the contract I signed with them and still charged the same amount of money. All they care is their own profit instead of customers!
I am a host for Sarah's home stay. I enjoy having the students,. They are my I good company. I like looking After after the students. I made sure they have breakfast and dinner. It is a pleasure to be a host with Sarah's ! They place you I reputable home!
Hello,

I would like to speak with anyone who has served as a host for this program.

I have been contacted but wanted first hand questions answered.

If anyone is still involved in the program, please give me a call.

READ THIS BEFORE YOU STAY!

I placed my daughter with a "host family" this summer (July and August 2016). Initially, there were lots of promises and assurances from the rep at SH and the host. Once my daughter arrived for the 38-day homestay, most of that went out the window. It seemed as if the host mother was intentionally trying hard to convince me that she was going to handle my daughter's care and safety as if she were her own daughter. In the end, my 16-year-old child was treated like an inconvenience and an unwelcome guest. She had access to a kitchen, but it was filthy. She had access to a bathroom, but there was no way to shut the door completely and no way to lock it. It was the height of summer, and no one informed us that there was no air conditioning until arrival. The host did the absolute minimum, or less possibly, to earn the hefty fee we paid. I know Manhattan is expensive, but that's no excuse for irresponsibility and an uncaring attitude. It's clear to me now that the host seemed likely to be in it for the money. Please know this is a possibility when considering sending your son or daughter to this program!

We had a very difficult experience with a female SH rep whose highly manipulative and abusive behavior can only be described as indicative of some kind of deep psychological disturbance or illness. She actually told me that if I wanted a host family placement that I would be required to grovel. Even when I complied with her demands, she denied our stay. She threatened me and my daughter. She was so diabolically out of control that it's hard to believe she had a job at SH or anywhere.

Eventually we ended up working with a really great rep. He was genuinely concerned with our experience and my daughter's safety and well being insofar as it related to the homestay. I can say he was the only bright light in that office when we managed to escape the "evil clutches" of the first rep. He is actually the only reason I can give a two-star rating.

The two guys in charge seem pretty decent, and they were surprised to see me actually show up at their office in person. I think they'll probably be surprised to see this review. It's amazing how one mentally ill employee and one unfriendly host can contribute towards the posting of such an unfavorable review.

Incidentally, I've waited over 100 days for a follow-up email from Sara's Homestay. I've received nothing from them asking us about our experience. They seem not to be concerned with how customers feel about their purchase. How can SH improve if they have no way of determining "lessons learned"?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 1?
Online Users

Guests: 18