Best Places to Live in New York City for the first time

Posted by Andy 
Re: Best Places to Live in New York City for the first time
July 17, 2011 06:12AM
Candice Sorry to say you will not find a studio in Manhattan for $900. You may find a share in a tiny room in Greenpoint,Brooklyn Astoria,Wueens, Sunnyside Queens.. Flushing....
Hi, I'm Ryan.
Umm recently my friend and I decided to move to NYC with her two children 8, and 9 YEar olds. I'm just a little scared about not being able to pay rent.. We have 30 grand as a starter and she is a licensed CNA so that will help, my question is, where is the best and cheapest neighborhood to find a 3 BR appt? Somewhere that is close to transportation preferably. I am from Texas, and I hat it here.. I have wanted to move to NYC since I was little. If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it. We are trying to move within 2weeks.. Any help is greatly appreciated!
September 18, 2011 07:27AM
Nice cushion. Greenpoint Brooklyn,Astoria,Queens,Sunnyside Queens...are all good places to look.
December 17, 2011 05:17AM
Re: Is Harlem safe at night? new
Posted by: Kirsten (101.162.178.29)
Date: December 17, 2011 12:24AM

Hi,

My husband & I and our 2 children aged 3 and 10 are thinking of spending a year in New York soon for an adventure when he is transferred for work. We are coming from Australia. What suburbs would you recommend as safe suburbs to live with children, baring in mind that we want to stay in Manhattan to be close to his work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
I am looking to move to NYC in a few months possible May 2012, I have 2 children and I am looking for somewhere with great schools and a safe neighborhood. Somewhere that is reasonable and not far from the night life. I have a car so I can drive, I am more concern with prices, and schools.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Dear Kirsten:

Harlem is quite safe, though it's tough to generalize -- Harlem is enormous, and takes up almost half the island of Manhattan. There are whole worlds within Harlem.

One thing to consider: Just because Harlem is on the island, it doesn't necessarily guarantee your husband an easy commute. If either of you intend to spend much time south of midtown, you may wish to investigate the Brooklyn neighborhoods along the East River. Williamsburg, Fort Green/Clinton Hill, DUMBO, Cobble Hill, Park Slope, Prospect Heights, Brooklyn Heights -- these are all lovely neighborhoods, all safe, and all are more accessible to much of Manhattan than is Harlem.

I was skeptical of Brooklyn when I've moved to the city, but I've fallen in love with the place. If you've got questions about any particular neighborhoods, please feel free to drop a line.

- Brandon K. Thorp
brandonkthorp.gmail.com
Dear New Yorkers,

I suspect this question has been asked a dozen of times before, but still I´d like to know what you think about it!

A friend and I are planning a trip to NYC for Christmas 2012, we´ll arrive on December 20th and leave December 27th or latest January 2nd, 2013. We are two women in our early 30s. As we´re planning to stay over Christmas, we would like to have a bit more than just a hotel room, and so I found a fabulous apartement that also fits in our budget on Tripadvisor. The apartement is highly recommended there.

The only thing that lets me still hesitate is that the appartement is in Harlem, on West 126th Street between Lenox and 7th Avenues. I did a lot of research already, and opinions that I get seem to reach from safe & beautiful to a dirty, dangerous slum. I also checked out spotcrime.com, and to me it looks like specially this part of Harlem is not worse than some other areas that are rated safe for tourists. I also checked the street on streetview, and it looks really nice. But, I don´t wanna feel like running away from something when we walk the streets at night… We´re not going out till the early morning hours, but it´s pretty sure we´ll be returning to the appartement somewhere round 10pm to midnight on some days.
We have already been in New York for 2 times, we stayed in Chelsea (West 23rd between 7th&8th Avenues) then. We have also been to some other big American cities like Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Miami, Orlando and San Francisco. In San Francisco, we were wandering around in the so-called dangerous districts (Tenderloin & Western addition) in the evenings, and we didn´t feel too uncomfortable or anything. Of course, we know we need to be aware and watch our steps like in every other city and part of New York! If it gets too late, we are also willing to grab a cab, but our main travelling around will be done by subway. Also, others that stayed in this apartment also commented they felt safe in this area.

So now, what do you New Yorkers think about this location? Do you think us two “girls” will be safe up there? I highly appreciate any comment and help for our decision!

Thanks a bunch,
Chelsea
You 2 will be fine, but it is dirty but so is the whole of NYC...good luck and have fun
NYC is expensive to live... but if you really need to move Brooklyn is a good place to live, Good schools. And you don't really need to drive any where. The places that are commutable are fort Greene, park slope ...just don't go to brownsville they haven't upgraded yet
I guess there's no hope for me & my 3 daughters. I want to move to NY so that my daughters can attend some type of arts school & I think they would have a better chance of making it in NY. One of my girls has already been accepted in the John Casablanca modeling agency,were from broke one horse Ohio and I don't see much of a future here for my girls. The only thing I will miss is the cost of living. We currently live in a 3 bdrm house that is fairly nice for $450 a month.
I've read so many mixed opinions about NY I just read 10 reasons not to move to NY. The more I read now I'm leaning more towards Brooklyn for myself & my 3 daughters. What are some good points or good advice can someone give me about moving to Brooklyn?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 1 plus 6?
Online Users

Guests: 6