Best Places to Live in New York City for the first time

Posted by Andy 
Can anyone suggest a safe area in Manhattan to get a 1BR for my 21 yr old daughter and her 10month old baby?
do you new yorkers recommend sunnyside? i was looking into apartments there. it seems good.
Im a 22 yr old female, planning to move to NY with my boyfriend. We each make about 1200 a month where we are now (Aspen, CO). I don't know what pay is like out there...

We are bored and are looking for a place that is lively and has a lot to offer, but we also need affordable housing and good job opportunities (isnt that what everyone is asking for? :} )

I've never been to Ny and know nothing about it, save for what I've read in this forum. Which place has a lot of jobs? Also, I'd like something to do other than bars and clubs. Those are great, but there must be more. And I love nature.

I've lived in ghettos before, but nothing too bad. I dont want to live somewhere extremely dangerous, but it doesnt really have to be beautiful either.
Re: Best Places to Live in New York City for the first time
April 12, 2010 06:29AM
[nymag.com]
Photo: Jeff Chien-Hsing Liao)

When I moved to New York from Chicago last April, I had an awful lot of trouble picking a neighborhood. I looked at apartments almost everywhere—Williamsburg, Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, Chinatown, Tribeca, Soho, the Lower East Side, Greenwich Village—and each seemed to have its own pitfalls and charms. Eventually, I settled on a place just off Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn Heights, a neighborhood that, ironically, hadn’t been on my not-so-short list originally. I’ve been happy here, but like most New Yorkers, I suffer from a bit of grass-is-greener syndrome. Would I be better off living in Astoria? Prospect Heights? Chelsea?

Sunnyside is a hidden gem if there ever was one—though its communities of Armenians, Romanians, Indians, Bangladeshis, Chinese, Koreans, Colombians, and Ecuadorans have known about its attributes for years. It’s flat-out cheap (and not just by New York standards): A typical two-bedroom costs $1,300 a month. And that’s in a safe, quiet neighborhood with better-than-average schools that’s just sixteen minutes to Times Square on the 7 train. Although it’s a bit lacking in restaurants and nightlife, it’s a quick livery ride to both Greenpoint and Astoria.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2010 10:12AM by askanewyorker.
Re: Best Places to Live in New York City for the first time
April 12, 2010 10:57AM
[nymag.com]

This is a relevant article for this thread...NY Mag ranks the "most livable" neighborhoods and my neighborhood, Sunnyside Queens, got number 3!
I mentioned this on another post, but wanted to repost it on the sticky thread as I think others might find this useful:

I suggest checking out NabeWise for the best neighborhood for you. Actually, the NabeFinder tool is probably even better if you don't know much about NYC. You can sort it by safety, students, or whatever is your interest and read and write reviews on where to live.

After finding your neighborhood, I would go to craigslist.org to find the apartment you want. It's the main real estate listing site in NYC.
It's hard to recommend a neighborhood in NYC without budget requirements.

For a young single mom with no budget: Park Slope
For a young single mom with medium budget: Clinton Hill
For a young single mom with very low budget: Astoria

Maybe have your daughter check out this calculator for finding the best neighborhood match. Good luck!
hey everyone,
I recieved an intership with Sesame Street for the summer, and im all set to go to new york for 2 months only i have no place to live! i cant find anywhere cheap enough to stay. i need a place asap or i will miss this grand opportunity.. HELP!!

EMAIL: BIGDATHCN33@YAHOO.COM

DANIEL SMITH
I am looking for an apt in Williamsburg, Brooklyn? What do you think about this area. Do you have any suggestions on how to best search for an apt? Do real estate agents help you with this?
I am looking at moving to new york for travel n hopefully some work! i am 21 female. what are the best areas to move to i.e the safest and easiest to get to main areas i do not know much about new york i need some advise please!?
i have 5 kids from california and i want to move to new york city or somewhere close i have section 8 any suggestions on where to live
Im just checking around im from michigan and i have always wanted to go to new york and live! Working in a resteraunt after i finish my culinary school, i was just wondering how good the job market is out there just for all jobs not just what im interested in because no matter how hard u try it doesnt always work out. And i was reading some posts from people on here,i want a safe neighborhood that i wouldnt be worried about all the time ive always wanted to live in manhattan but i need a cheep studio and im guessing in new york cheap is like 900 i know everything is sooo expensive there in michigan a stuido apt isnt more than 450 where i like normally i had one for 300 everything included and it was bigger than some ive looked at online in ny but this is what i want to do. Please help and give advice! Thanks u!! smiling smiley
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 20?
Online Users

Guests: 10