Best Places to Live in New York City for the first time

Posted by Andy 
Anybody interested in living in Midwood, Brooklyn. Thre is a nice studio available.
Hey guys
Can you help me with some info about living in NY city. I was living there for a short period of time and I love it. I am a single parent with 2 clindren attending middle school right now. My main concern is finding a decent, safe and affordable area in NY city. What about the best school district?
I enjoy big city life, art, dance, culture, finding that won't be a big problem in NY city. What about the jobs? Do the jobs pay well. I was in Jackson Heights and I like it. Do not know too much. There were a lot of people there from India. What is the best option to live with children. I do not want to bring strangers into my place. I will appreciate any info you guys can provide.
Thanks
Hi Everyone !

Im a 21 yo Female from MASS. im a college student and i was looking to move to NYC by June 1st 2008. I had applied for the Police Exam so im trying to be out there by then. Ive been looking in areas like staten island and long island. other than that im not too sure on whats safe and what isnt. ill be moving out there on my own so it has to be something safe and if possible a close commute to manhattan, maybe an hr away the most.

Any town suggestions would be fine. I am also looking for a studio apt. something sufficient for one person. I was looking in jackson heights, i read about inwood manhattan and heard it was a horrible area so i crossed that off the list. But please feel free to add some input into good areas. i would really appreciate it..thanks =)
Hi New yorkers,

PLEASE SUGGEST!

I am planning to move in to NY city by mid - may 08.

My budget is between $600 to 800 and of-course that means I'm planning to share. I need to figure out where to live before I look for a room / room mate.

So Can someone please suggest me basing on my priorities below :

1) The safest.
2) Has a lot of shops and supermarkets and lot of train and bus access.
3) Less than 30 mins travel to Manhattan
4 If possible a bit calm. (This is kinda conflicting with point 2 isn't it ?)

If u can gimme 3 places which meet my above requirements, I would be really really happy and would appreciate it . I mean really smiling smiley

Thanks,
Prash
Hi. Im a musician and a model and a single parent in a psychedelic soul band in NC right now...
with no car,Sct 8 and a guitar player who HAS a car and but is the only member who wants to follow me to New york City...just trying to find some musicians, some photographers..hell..just some artists who can give me and my possibly traveling bandmate and my nine year ols boy some info about people, places and especiallly things artsy-enough to keep us happy. I have money..just need resources..thanks, beautiful people. Any info would be appreciated!
feel free to hit me on the myspace
www.myspace.com/fynnchi

or (here's the plug..) www.fynnchi.com
I am a 35-year-old single female considering moving to NYC for an entry-level job next month (I made a career change recently). However, they probably won't pay me more than $50K. The job would be Manhattan. I want to live alone, someplace fun where I can meet other single people and not be too far of a commute to work. Please let me know if this is realistic or not. I mean, can I live alone for something like $900/month in a safe neighborhood sorta close to Manhattan? I have no idea, that's why I am asking.
Okay-- This is going to be a long posting since i'm the only New Yorker whose posted advice in awhile.... Before reading, realize that these are not necessarily FACTS, but my own opinion since growing up on Long Island all my life and living in NYC with my husband (whose lived here 32 years) for the last 4 years.... (so please no new yorkers crucify me if you love a neighborhood that I happen to hate...okay?)

First I just want to put it out there for everyone that New York is the most expensive city in North America. I was looking recently for apts in San Diego, and my mouth was watering about how much more of a beautiful and affordable place you can move there!! And people there make the same as NYers, so I don't understand why everyone keeps wanting to live here....well I guess people have to experience it for themselves, huh? (its really very overrated)

Okay-- first you must realize that if you plan on living somewhere SAFE, you will pay $900/month for a studio at LEAST (that is in a safe place probably about 45 min from manhattan). My husband and I were desperately looking for a 550 sq. ft. studio or 1 BR for $1400/month (we like brooklyn better, so we were looking there. Queens will always be cheaper than brooklyn) somewhere within 30 min to manhattan in a safe/nice area-- that is not possible.

BUT, here are some relatively "cheap", nice, and safe areas of the city that will take you to the heart of it all within 45 min-1 hr.....

BROOKLYN
Bay Ridge (really nice, safe, right on the water, 50 min to mnhtn via R train, but they also have an express bus for a little extra $$-- look in the 80's and 90's, although the 70s will be cheaper--stay away from Sunset Park)- 1BR/$1300-1400 mo.+
Kensington/Dyker Heights- some areas are really nice and have brownstones, so cute! But beware, some areas are really ugly and far from transportation (so visit it first!)
Brighton Beach/Coney Island- its safe and right on the beach! this area is mostly Russian and you may have some Russian mafia to deal with.... about 1 hr from mnhtn- 1BR/$1100-1200/mo.
Clinton Hills- get expensive. Some areas are affordable, but they may not be nice.
Carroll Gardens-(i love it here!) But it is expensive--1BR $1700+
Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Prospect Heights, Fort Greene, etc etc (DUMBO, boerum hill..) These are the NICEST most BEAUTIFUL areas of brooklyn and only those who have ALOT of MONEY live there-- You will pay for what you get-- some of these apts are actually more expensive than living in Manhattan.-- 1BR/$1900+

AREAS IN BROOKLYN TO AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE
East New York (the most dangerous neighborhood in the state of NY, as per the U.S. Census)
Brownsville (almost equally as dangerous)
Bushwick (I have lived there--believe me, it is gentrifying but still dangerous AND extremely ugly and ghetto)
Crown Heights
Flatbush (parts of it)
**Be careful when you hear of a decently priced apt in "East Williamsburg" or "Prospect heights". If it is actually in this area, it will not be decently priced (ie. 1BR less than $1700? It will be in bushwick or crown heights, not the nice areas)

QUEENS
Glendale/Ridgewood (really nice, polish neighborhood--used to live there smiling smiley, but not too close to transportation...)--1BR $1100,1200/mo; 2BR $1300,$1400/mo.
Sunnyside (really nice, good prices, big apts, close to everything!)
Long Island City (GREAT area--its still a little industrial but in 2003 they started making it residential, superclose to the city, trendy, but a bit pricey maybe....)
Astoria (some people like it...too industrial and loud for my taste...)
Forest Hills (farther away from the city, but SUPER nice--some of the buildings look like Bavarian cottages-- this is the place where I would raise a family in NY-- however, it is a bit pricey! of course!)
Jackson Heights- is okay if you're looking for a deal and don't care that its far away, boring, ugly, and borderline dangerous in some areas...but its not the ghetto at least.

MANHATTAN
Indwood- this is a GREAT area. It used to be bad but I hear from everyone how nice it is now. It is quite far from midtown, though...
Washington Heights/Hamilton Heights- they have a huge church (st. John the Divine) with a park and a waterfall--beautiful area, no longer the ghetto as far as I've heard
everything below Harlem is REALLY expensive. We WERE paying $2000/month for a 300 sq. ft. apt in the Lower East Side and HATING it.

**Here's some more advice-- STAY ON THE WEST SIDE
The East Side close to 100's and up starts to get real shady and ghetto-- the West Side is NICE until 125th (and even higher!)
We are living on the West Side now (88th, we got a great deal sublet through a friend but its only short term unfortunately), and it is the BEST. Its really made me fall in love with Manhattan all over again (If you're like me and NEED NATURE...)
But apts up here usually run for $1700-1800 for a studio and UP....

Anyway, hope this helps! Write again if you need more info...

P.S. Elise-- If you have kids, I would suggest Forest Hills, if you make alot of money, brooklyn heights or park slope. If you are looking to buy a house or somewhere more residential, while still close to the city... JERSEY (or long island). Jersey is really close to the city and MUCH cheaper. Although you'll need a car... with kids I think that would be your best bet!

Prash-- Queens and brooklyn will always be a bit "calmer" (i understand you completely) and for the price you are looking for (for a share), you should only look in Queens. Sunnyside is 25-30 min from manhattan (or closer?) and Glendale or Ridgewood is about 35-40 min (30-35 during rush hour). Any place in brooklyn would be at least $1700 for a 1BR within 30 min of the city...unless you are willing to live in the ghetto. You could also try Jersey City or Hoboken? They are also kind of expensive, but cheaper than NY....and you'll be by the PATH.

And I don't think people make much more in Manhattan work-wise unless you are a high-powered business exec. Other than that you may make a little more, but nothing that equals how much you are paying for everything else. NYC is a TOUGH city to live in unless you have $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Although, you will NEVER be bored!! smiling smiley
I think that is incorrect advice. I live in Jackson Heights and previously lived in Astoria and Manhattan. I am the fifth generation of my family to live in New York City (my daughter is the sixth!)

I don't know what's "industrial" about Astoria. The heart of Astoria, between the highway and Broadway from 21st to Steinway streets, has nothing industrial about it at all. It's all small shops and a range of places to live from little houses to medium sized apartment buildings. It is quite busy and very popular right now with young singles and couples.

Jackson Heights is a great, multicultural neighborhood. The thing I like best about this neighborhood is its diversity. We have friends from a dozen different countries, and everyone's kids play together and go to school together. No group is a majority here, it's a big mix. But everyone is middle class. It's very busy, and the garden blocks are some of the most beautiful apartment buildings in the whole city with their blocklong internal gardens. It is closer to Manhattan than either Glendale or Forest Hills, and it has an express subway stop that gets you into Manhattan in 12 minutes.

I agree Forest Hills is nice. We decided not to move there because we thought it was too far from Manhattan and a little too quiet. We like the livelier nature of Jackson Heights.

On the other hand, I think Ridgewood/Glendale is a bad idea. Those neighborhoods are extremely difficult to get to and from ... you have to rely on very slow buses. Also, there is relatively little shopping within walking distance and relatively little to do. I know I would be bored and frustrated living in those neighborhoods and stuck on the bus all the time.
"The East Side close to 100's and up starts to get real shady and ghetto-- the West Side is NICE until 125th (and even higher!)"

I am guessing this poster have not been up here in years and being bias. It is probably more expensive thant the west 80's. Far from shady and getto. Stop with the coninuation of the negative stigma.

I live here, and the huge condo buildings say something different from "getto and "Shady." It amazes me the false portrail of above 100 street.

So if you are looking for apartments, although some new buildings require you to show a high steady income with about 5 months rent in you account.

[www.nypost.com]

[www.nybits.com]

[www.cityrealty.com]

This is just a few - seeing is beleiving!

What is it going to take to erase the negative stigma?
"I am guessing this poster have not been up here in years and being bias. It is probably more expensive thant the west 80's. Far from shady and getto. Stop with the coninuation of the negative stigma."

.....a few months ago (Nov.2007) my husband and I looked at an apt on East 108th street... my husband grew up in ghetto brooklyn, (Bushwick--esp in the 80s was terrible) for all of his life, so he knows when a neighborhood is shady...maybe your particular block is nice....but for people from other states?! The East side up there IS shady. Its not a stigma, its the truth... This is the difference--maybe you've lived there for awhile and you know the neighborhood (or maybe you just moved in and don't know it at all! blissfully ignorant!), so you feel safe-- same reason why I would MAYBE move back to Bushwick even though its ghetto--because I know it. But for people that don't have a clue and moving to the NY for the first time?? Its just my opinion, but a wrong move....

It is not more expensive than the West 80s by a long shot. The West 80s are all million dollar brownstones....the East side 100's are much cheaper apts, that's why we were looking there in the first place....until we saw the neighborhood..... like I said, it could be that we were on different blocks, but why take a gamble like that when ppl are moving to NY for the first time?

I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist.
Red-- Hmm.....well when you put it that way.... I agree with you. Like, I said, it was just my humble opinion.

Glendale is at the end of the M line, and is mostly buses but you can still get to manhattan in 35 min during rush hour... and Ridgewood is very close to all transportation (just make sure its not really bushwick and they are trying to pass it off as Ridgewood!) Also, Ridgewood is very close to all shopping and restaurants, as well as the M and L lines. I lived on Cornelia and Woodward, and loved it! (the block has gotten a little ghetto now though).
Hey, it takes all kinds. One of the truly great things about NYC is that we actually have all kinds, and we have room for all kinds. Put two New Yorkers in a room and you'll have three opinions, especially about transportation or real estate!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 10?
Online Users

Guests: 8