Best Places to Live in New York City for the first time

Posted by Andy 
Actually, I have lived here all my life and have ventured between 125th & 96th. While Red, you are right the fact that there are certain and I should mention few blocks that are shade (changes from block to block). The change has been phenomenal. These few shady places do stand out .. because they are few.

You have million dollar brownstones here as well. Infact, no townhouse is below a million (unless has to be rehabbed - believe me I know because we bought 2 up here) started at 1.6 million (and that was the low end), that was when I moved from one location here to another)

What is change? Well everyday you look at the people and say to yourself that you would never see this years ago. Well put together people - who you know moved here to get away from the overly populated areas in Manhattan.

What has this caused? All the "thorns" (reasons why a tourist would not visit) in the area have been pushed out. Infact, housing is becoming so expensive here that most of the previous residents (I have no control over this) are being forced to Connecticut.

You can appreciate the positive change when you live here and see it for yourself. Believe I know how it was years and years ago. Just like New York had the stereotype of being dangerous years ago, and the subway dangerous.

I mean whose opinion counts a person who visited one time, or a person who has lived here all their live ans see the transition. Knowing first hand how it was before and how it is now.

But, I guess Red is free to their opinion that the East Side "up there" is shady. Listen to the "I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist." So with their opinion in mind - no one go above 100th street! Of course the smarter individuals will know better.

Although I live in area between 100th and 106th on Lexington Avenue, the building across the street from me valued at 1 - 6 million per condo buying and rentals starting at 1700- 2000 for a studio. Yes there is also cheaper apartments than elsewhere in New York "up there."

But, I guess that is not enough. So let I will the smarter individuals see for themselves. Some New Yorkers who advise about areas in New York to live do it from hearsay or from lack of information. I mean Red saw 108th Street, classed it as shady, (not know where it came from and going) and said to "themselves" the entire area above 100th street is shady so let us not look at any other streets to rentals. I mean you did not mention seeing any other street.

For those who what facts - here you go:

The mayor is trying to eliminate the further building of hotels in Times Square due to the over crowding. As a result, you have hotels like the W residence at 124th (in progress), you have hotels being built at 125th.

Here is what real people are saying about Harlem,

[www.topix.net]

[eastharlemfocus.blogspot.com]

[query.nytimes.com]

[www.nytimes.com]

But, hey what do I know!
(1) Emmanuel, I didn't say any of that. Sarilla said that.

(2) But it doesn't make me happy. Do you think the working class will be able to pay $1-6 million for an apartment? That makes me vomit with disgust. People who celebrate $6 million apartments make me sick.
Our daughter is moving to New York to attend college at John Jay Criminal Justice, Masters Degree. She would like to find a studio apartment in a reasonable area and of course she is on a budget...aren't we all.

We would appreciate any information or if someone has a contact for a rental place that would be even better. If you need more information and/or have a place to rent let me know.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Hi,
I am moving to New York wanted to know the best areas to live near to manhattan and good schools i have a six year old son plus i am also interested to know the good areas of long island which areas of longisland near to manhattan by lirr and good schools in that area.
thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2008 07:10AM by askanewyorker.
hi, I am planning on moving to NYC with a friend in the next 3 months, I have only been there once so I dont know much. I know I want to live in the city, preferrably Manhattan near central park. I currently reside in San Diego which is also very expensive. i am hoping to spend no more than 2200 per month for a two bedroom. Is this possible? and if so..... any suggestions? Also have no idea how to go about renting a place. Is it even possible to do without being there?
Re: Best Places to Live in New York City for the first time
June 06, 2008 09:23AM
You might get a 1 bedroom in Manhattan for that but it wouldn't be near Central Park.
Hi! I understand that living in Manhattan is going to be expensive but could anyone please advise where in Manhattan I could find a 2-br. apartment that rents out for $2500 (if possible; or advise what the going rate is). I don't need to live near Central Park or anywhere trendy. I am just looking for a place for myself and for my friend that's relatively safe and quiet.

We are both from Jersey and looking to move to the city since both of our jobs are there anyway.

Thanks!
July 15, 2008 06:01AM
Thanks so much for the link, it has been great help. Now for another question... Are there any french neighborhoods in NYC? Preferably in Queens?
I DEFINITELY AGREE WITH SARILLA. I WAS BORN IN NYC AND STILL LIVE HERE AND I AGREE WITH HER OPINION. I LIVE IN SUNNYSIDE AND I'VE LIVED IN CORONA, I'VE WORKED IN JACKSON HEIGHTS AND IN ELMHURST...I'VE ALSO LIVED IN WASHINGTON HEIGHTS...NYC IS EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE TO MY EYES BUT OFCOURSE EVERYTHING IS CLOSE BY AND YOU WON'T BE BORED...FOREST HILLS IS A REAL NICE PLACE...I WOULD GO WITH THAT.
to all who are moving here...

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of dissenting voices on this one, but my strongest opinion on this is as follows for a first-timer moving here:

SPEND THE MONEY ON A SHARE IN MANHATTAN PROPER.

For $ 800 bucks you can find a share with 2 other people in almost any neighborhood. Here is why i recommend it: you will really get the most for your money, as you'll spend the most time in the thick of things, the least amount of money/ time traveling, have the easiest time meeting people and will be extremely safe.

New Yorkers have a tendency to stick to their own hoods (it's human nature, really). Therefore, if you live in Sunnyside you will spend most of your time in Sunnyside...is your goal to move to New York or move to its outskirts? If the latter is the case, you can find better deals in Jersey. Also, everywhere in Manhattan is safe. The cheap parts of the boroughs less reliable so. Safety is a premium worth paying for if you're new to town, as you are much more of a target. As concerns transportation, if you live in Sunnyside, Inwood, wherever on your list: if you chose to go out past 10 pm, you will likely have to take a cab home (which will cost around $30 once you pay the tip), or take spend 20 minutes waiting for a subway late at night then another 30 in transit.

Once you've had your fun, learned the lay of the land, and met people, you should then decide which one of the lower priced neighborhoods are best for you, if you still want to do it all. I'd give this maybe 3-6 months.

And I'm not being a snob, I'm being realistic. I have also lived in all of the boroughs except the Bronx, including all of the following: East Village, Manhattan; Astoria, Queens; New Brighton, Staten Island; Bed-Stuy Brooklyn; and Chelsea, Manhattan. I can honestly tell you that i paid the same price to live in a nice part of Bed-Stuy as i do to live in Chelsea (both times by myself), and what i lost in space i made up for in safety, convenience, and a 15-minute walk to work (as opposed to 50 minutes on the subway).

hope this is helpful.
September 29, 2008 07:09AM
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 3 plus 11?
Online Users

Guests: 5