mamma leone's

Posted by John 
Re: mamma leone's
April 07, 2007 09:37PM
Hey! Dad let your friends eat free? He made mine do the dishes! (Just kidding)
July 17, 2007 05:52PM
You had to be there, true we didn't go for the food as much as the history (Caruso, Moss Hart, Will Rogers....). If I wanted great italian food, there was plenty at home. It was like going to the automat (also gone) or the Top of the Sixes (yeah, it's gone too) just something you had to do. I live in L.A. now and there is resturant history here as well (Phillipe's, Coles {both claim to have invented the french dip}, Musso and Franks) and in it's past (Brown Derby, Chasens) but nothing like Leone's.
August 10, 2007 10:43AM
What a wonderful memory i have of this beautiful restaurant...High school students from Portland & Seattle,traveling across country on a bus seeing historical sites...Mama Leone's was the hit of the trip for the 5 of us girls who ventured here. Fawned over by the waiters,treated like Princesses, eating until we were silly, stuffed, satiated, then off to see Ben Vereen in Pippen..
NY is #1!
October 23, 2007 07:37PM
I never been ther but i do have a quite old menu im about to post on ebay for all interested parties,
October 25, 2007 07:36AM
who/what is mamma Leone? THX
December 23, 2007 07:34AM
It is sad to hear that Mamma Leone's has closed. I have great memories of visiting NYC and going to Mamma Leone's I started in 79 and my last time was 89. I thought the food was great and the memories were being a teenager eating out with friends in a place like Mamma Leone's. the last time I was in NY 2001, I tried to look for Mamma Leone's but could not find it. To the man who wrote about his Dad as Manager Thanks to your Dad for his many years of service. Merry Christmas!!!!
February 01, 2008 06:52PM
My first husband and I went to Mama Leone's while on a visit to NYC in 1968. We weren't favorably impressed with the food and service, but we left a tip of the then-customary % of the food bill. The waiter was miffed and walked around the restaurant amongst the other diners yelling something about look at the tip they gave me - he was the rudest of all the rude New Yorkers we encountered on that trip. I haven't been back to the city since then, but have heard that New York has a kinder heart these days. Maybe it's time to go check that out.
Re: mama leone's
April 16, 2008 12:35PM
I married into a Greek/Italian family, and my late father-in-law made a few wonderful dishes from his Mama Leone's cookbook. I knew that being the d-i-l I would never get the book when he passed away so I found my own on ebay. I get rave reviews when I prepare the Linguine with White Clam Sauce, and also the Lasagne. I would have loved to have been able to eat a meal at the Leone restaurant with my f-i-l.
May 22, 2008 12:32PM
Hi Folks,

Couldn't resist going down memory lane about Momma Leone's. I went years ago with my Mom and Grandmother on bus trips to see a show or just visit NYC. We loved it - yes, even as a youngster I could tell we weren't eating the fanciest of food but the ambiance, the experience, the tradition of it all was wonderful. I remember a couple of things quite distinctly from going there - I loved male waiters. Yes, they might not have been the friendliest all the time but for some reason I just loved how their job was their career - have loved men waiters ever since - especially in NY...I also remembered that my Grandmother loved Matuese wine and I saved two of the bottles from the trip - I believe they used to burn candles in them and I just loved that. I also remembered that they placed a big chunk of cheese on your table and I thought whatever was brought to your table was yours - not so at Momma Leone's - that hunk of cheese went from table to table until it was done - so the very annoyed waiter indicated.

It was great fun and I miss it - now I frequent Sardi's for the same reason - food OK but the memories I love. Just was there this past weekend to see 'A Chorus Line' for the 10th time - it's the best!
KGB
June 18, 2008 12:09PM
Depending on the age of the cookbook, you might get takers on ebay. I have an original version of the Fanny Farmer cookbook, that my grandmother used, bought around the 1930's. The current one is far different than the original. I love to read the original as it had terms and things to do we do not do anymore. Ways of preparing that was pre-packaged food and pre-microwave. It is a lot of fun to read. I just past it onto the cook in our family, one of our sons. If your mom gave you the cookbook, you can do a little research to see if the amazon one has been revised, reprinted etc.
KGB
Joe
Re: Mama Leone's
August 07, 2008 08:08AM
I went to Mama Leone's in the late 70's and was quite disappointed with the food. Having been raised by my Grandparents and Mom in an Italian family due to the early passing of my biological father, I knew great Italian food when I tasted it. I fondly remember the love and care my Grandfather (a Sicilian) used in raising the tomatoes for the sauce - both Roma and regular tomatoes. I remember my Grandmother (from Naples) cooking the tomatoes, straining the pulp, concentrating and canning the tomato (no e) paste for use during the winter months. Every Sunday was pasta day and my Grandmother made a huge plate of "homemade" spaghetti for her and my Grandfather (they ate from the same platter as was the Italian custom) and smaller plates for the rest of us. I stress "homemade" spaghetti because she made it from scratch - flour, water, eggs. She would roll out the dough, cut into thin strips and put it on a rack to dry for later use. And on special occasions, Christmas, Easter or Catholic holiday she made either THE RAVIOLI or THE LASAGNA. THE RAVIOLI were not the little small ones you see in frozen food section of your local food market or at Carraba's, they were huge BUT then I was under 9 and then my Mom remarried. God, I miss those days and my Grandma and Grandpa Costanza so very much.
Re: Mamma Leone's
August 28, 2008 05:00PM
I used to work at Mamma Leone's as a hostess back in the 1960's when I was in college. I remember Mr. Bruno quite well. I thought his family name was Bernabo. Perhaps I'm remembering someone else.
Many years after leaving Leone's I had my wedding reception there. The food was quite good, as I remember it,and we had a lovely time. The Catering Manager had been a waiter when I worked there.
It was a great place to work and a great place to eat. I don't believe the food was really mediocre, it was plain country cooking and very good for what it was.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 19 plus 2?
Online Users

Guests: 15