The National Debt Clock

Posted by Anthony 
The National Debt Clock
January 12, 2003 05:27PM

What happend when under the Clinton administration the debt was turned into a surplus, did it turn itself off?

If you don't know what I am on about then there is a clock thing on 6th (if i recall) that totals the US's debt and share per family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 06:24AM by askanewyorker.
Kate
Re: The National Debt Clock
January 14, 2003 08:46AM
Anthony I agree that was very cool....I remember the clock well...if I recall that was privately funded....it was turned off by the individual who created it. Too bad
August 08, 2009 03:11PM
[en.wikipedia.org]

The idea for the clock came from New York real estate developer Seymour Durst, who wanted to highlight the rising national debt. In 1989, he sponsored the installation of the first clock, which was erected on 42nd Street close to Times Square. In 2004, this clock was dismantled and replaced by the new but virtually identical current clock.

Seymour's original clock was erected while the national debt remained under $3 trillion but was rising, but it was temporarily switched off from 2000 to 2002 due to the debt actually falling. In 2008, the debt exceeded $10 trillion for the first time, leading to press reports that the clock had run out of numbers. Following the transition, plans for a third clock were announced, to be installed in the same location, with extra capacity.

The original clock outlived Seymour who died in 1995, with Seymour's son Douglas taking over responsibility for the clock through the Durst Organization.

It's on the same street as Jimmy's Corner the greatest dive bar in the city.

[nymag.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2009 03:16PM by askanewyorker.
August 09, 2009 07:26AM
Gross Debt

It has taken some time for me to understand the mess of our time. I guess my lack of understanding of such a complicated matter is reasonable given that I barely understand myself.

But before I digress into a treatise on epistemology - how do we know, let me share with you my new discovery.

This comes from a commentator on public radio who noted that personal debt - you know all those plastic cards and home mortgages - personal debt has doubled in the last 20 years.

We now personally owe the equivalent of our Gross National Product; 20 years ago we owed 20-50% of that amount.

Perhaps the economic crisis will cool us off. I don't know; I'm too close to us.

The last time personal debt equaled Gross National Product was 1929.

The commentator went on to explain the enemy is not the Wall Street swindler or corrupt bankers. We have met the enemy and he is us. We have too much debt.

So we were living a high life on borrowed money and we got away with it until the creditors became insecure. So they want their money back.

This much I can understand.

Larry Adlerstein
January 11, 2010 05:05AM
and keeps growingdrinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 06:19AM by askanewyorker.
April 11, 2011 06:18AM
Halfway through the fiscal year, and countless partisan power plays later, Congress finally managed to reach a deal on the 2011 budget. Its signature feature: $38.5 billion in spending cuts or, as it's referred to by the key players, "the largest spending cut in American history."

[money.cnn.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 06:21AM by askanewyorker.
April 13, 2011 08:48AM
How did the National debt get so big?

[news.yahoo.com]
July 11, 2011 05:19AM
$14.29 trillion US debt

US President Barack Obama convened a second consecutive day of crisis national debt talks Monday, but a polarized Washington appeared far from a deal to stave off a catastrophic default.

Obama met Sunday evening with congressional leaders, including Republican House Speaker John Boehner, but 75 minutes of talks failed to unblock an impasse that reaches right to the heart of America's ideological divide.

Republicans are refusing to raise the $14.29 trillion US debt limit unless Obama first agrees to curb the ballooning budget deficit, in part by cutting costly government-funded social welfare programs.

[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 05:21AM by askanewyorker.
July 29, 2011 07:06PM
With days before the Aug. 2nd deadline to raise the nation's $14.3 trillion debt ceiling, the House approved a proposal from House Speaker John Boehner. The final vote was 218 members--all Republicans--voting for the bill, with 210 against. Passage of the Boehner plan came a day after House leaders had originally intended to hold a vote on the measure--and after several days of intensive lobbying and arm twisting by Republican lawmakers.

[news.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2011 07:10PM by askanewyorker.
November 09, 2012 05:12AM
confused smileyeye popping smileyhot smiley
[www.usdebtclock.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2012 05:16AM by askanewyorker.
The clock was moved to 6th Ave and 43rd Street near the SW corner.

The debt increases due to annual deficits and interest.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 6 plus 10?
Online Users

Guests: 15