Beaches Near NYC???

Posted by Keisha 
Beaches Near NYC???
August 27, 2005 06:30PM
Hi all,
Are there any beaches close to the city that are accessible by train/bus/cab? I don't have a car here, but am missing the beach right about now! When I go to the beach, I like to sunbathe and get IN the water, so nice sand and clean water would be a plus....
Thanks!
Red
Re: Beaches Near NYC???
August 27, 2005 09:06PM
Lots of beaches. The Rockaways in Queens (go to the Beach 116th Street station on the A train and walk with the numbers going up) are great for plain beach but I don't know many people who go in the water there. To go -in- the water, I'd recommend Fire Island, but other people have recommended Jones Beach, which is a little closer. I think Jones Beach is more crowded and less charming.

LIRR beach packages: [www.lirr.org]

You can also go to the Jersey Shore, of course.

NJ Transit beach packages and beach notes:

[www.njtransit.com]
Kathy
August 27, 2005 09:41PM
Hi there,

you can check out the replies I received to a similar question. I also liked Fire Island.
[www.askanewyorker.com]
Leo
August 29, 2005 10:44PM
Very easy - take B express or Q and go to Brighton Beach. The best time to go is during the week where there are not too many people on the beach and you can relax. During weekends, there are lots of people on the beach but it is still fun. You can buy all the cheap beach gear at a store on the corner of Brighton 7th Street and Brighton Beach Avenye called "Value Depot" - everything from slippers to towels to beach umbrellas.
Michael
September 01, 2005 08:17PM
Brighton Beach rules!!!!
September 01, 2005 08:25PM
Now there I have to agree with you "Sara Counter Non English Shopper Michael...."

I had a great time there, and the pierogi's at Tatiana's are great for lunch!
Sara
September 01, 2005 11:16PM
Tatiana is overpriced and not all food there is good. It's the most expensive one because it's on a Boardwalk. You can go to Oceanview cafe on the corner of Brighton 3rd St and Brighton Beach Ave (5 min walk) and get the same food for 50% of the cost and better quality. There's also Glechek on Coney Island Ave - 100 yards north of Brighton Beach avenue. It has nice Ukrainian food at good prices.
September 02, 2005 10:00AM
It was worth the expense to have a lovely lunch while still enjoying the beach. And actually I don't think it was expensive at all. Same as any other nice place to eat. It was less than $10 each with tip as I recall.
Leo
September 02, 2005 10:11AM
I have been to Tatyana many times. The last was last week. It is definitely much more expensive than any cafe/restaurant that is not on Boardwalk. It will depend on the dish. But for some dishes the price is double of what you will find at a modertely priced russian restaurant.

For those looking for good and inexpensive russian food, the 2 restaurants mentioned above are great picks.

If you are driving in Brooklyn, go to "Stolovaya" cafe on the corner of Avenue U and East 8th Street. The food is great there and prices are very moderate.
Betoracle
September 02, 2005 10:38AM
I know it's more expensive, but there is something special about al fresco pierogies on the boardwalk (with friends, of course!). Yay Tatiana's!
Bay Ridge Flava
September 02, 2005 05:24PM
If you want to make a full day out of going to the beach, I'd get my ass on the LIRR and go to Babylon and ROBERT MOSES STATE PARK (The is a specific bus that goes there...not a big deal stress-wise.) A lot more people have heard of Jones Beach (even my mom in Germany before coming to BKLYN), it's world famous; however, if you want a more relaxing seen, go to Robert Moses. There are a lot less people and you can really feel like you got away. The entire trip to the beach if you are leaving from Penn Station is about 1.5 hrs.

If you don't mind the crowds Jones beach is a little closer with the entire trip taking about an hour. Take the LIRR to Freeport and then the bus thing again.

Eating on the boardwalk in Brighton beach is a lot different that really going to the beach...meaning getting the sand between your toes. Brooklyn beaches are a lot different...more crowded, more ghetto, a lot of dirty diapers and garbage not my idea of relaxing............OUCH! was that a hyperdermic needle?
September 04, 2005 11:04AM
Thanks, all for your responses!! Unfortunately, the beach/rail packages all end this weekend, and I am heading to beach next week. So I am starting a new post because I am so confused about the PATH/NJTransit trains...their website is very confusing and not user friendly at all!! Thanks again for your responses!!
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 16?
Online Users

Guests: 16