renting jetskis

Posted by kdarrow 
renting jetskis
July 10, 2005 07:35PM
Does anyone know where you can rent jetskis for either the East or Hudson rivers?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2010 05:08PM by askanewyorker.
Re: renting jetskis
July 11, 2005 12:36PM
I don't know about jetskis, but you can rent kayaks. see [www.downtownboathouse.org]

KM1
July 14, 2005 08:27AM
In the News: A Ban on Jet Skis?
by Peter Fleischer
September, 2000

They're fast, furious, they're loud, they're dirty -- a threat to the environment, a menace to wildlife, and, increasingly, a danger to human beings.

That is how more and more people are seeing personal watercraft.

"Call them Jet Skis, Waverunners, Sea Doos, Waterbikes or Water Scooters, they're all personal watercraft," according to the website of the Personal Watercraft Industry Association.

Kawasaki introduced the Jet Ski, the first commercially successful personal watercraft (or PWC) in 1974. There are now more than a million in the United States, manufactured mostly by five companies. And they are increasingly under attack.

Responding to the complaints, many federal, state and local authorities are taking action. The National Park Service banned them from most of its parks this spring, And now, right before Labor Day, Governor George E. Pataki signed a law that will allow local governments to decide whether or not to ban personal watercraft on New York's waterways.

It might be difficult for the landlocked to understand how so much outrage, condemnation and government regulation could be directed at something that's supposed to be fun.

But the statistics provide the answer: In 1993, there were 26 deaths throughout the nation connected to these watercraft according to a 1998 report from the National Transportation Safety Board. By 1997, the number of annual deaths had increased to 83. Unlike other pleasure craft, these deaths were not caused primarily by drowning, but by "blunt force trauma" - collisions, accidents. According to the Centers for Disease Control, the rate of injuries connected to personal watercraft was 8.5 times higher than the rate of injuries from motorboats

In New York State, while these craft comprise less than ten percent of the state's registered boats, they are involved in nearly 30 percent of all accidents, according to the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Prserveation.

"Controlling jet-skiers is one of our biggest safety concerns," says Emilio Velazquez, of the New York State Parks Police, which operates in city waters. In the last year, over 300 citations were given to recreational users, mostly powerboats. Over a third went to jet-skiers. The charges were as minor as inadequate markings, but also included operating too close to other vessels, or too close to swimmers.

A recent scan of local water-oriented list serves detail clashes. A kayaker wrote of being "buzzed" off Liberty State Park by a four-person Jet Ski. The kayaker called for more enforcement and prosecution. While highly stable in general, kayaks can be easily swamped by the wake given off by the powerful motors of personal watercraft. According to list serve writers, along Brighton Beach and Coney Island, jet skiers "pass the white markers, at least once a day - weaving among the swimmers".

Recognizing that recreational user conflict is partly a matter of education, city and state agencies have introduced mandatory courses in water safety aimed at new or young power watercraft users. Eventually, all users will fall under the new regulations that will be phased in by 2004.

The personal watercraft industry agrees with the need for education, regulation and enforcement, as do advocates of diverse recreation. Shared use of the water's refuge only works if all users obey the rules. To obey the rules, one must know the rules. The rules ought to reflect today's shoreline scene, a place of peace, refuge and fun for swimmers, paddlers, sailors, fishermen, pedestrians - and powerboats too, when they respect the rights of others less powerful.

Peter B. Fleischer, currently writing a book on the New York City waterfront, was formerly a transportation and environment policy advisor to New York City Mayors David Dinkins and Rudy Giuliani.
July 25, 2005 10:10PM
Have you found a place in NYC to rent a Jet Ski? I just started looking for the same thing.
-A
August 11, 2005 06:59PM
i'm dying to rent jet skis here in the city !!!..if anyone that knows plz let me know !!...im shocked at the fact that i can't find rentals here in manhattan confused smiley
August 11, 2005 09:47PM
I have never seen people on jet skis on either the Hudson or the East River and I would think it would be pretty dangerous because of the amount of boat traffic.
August 12, 2005 10:12AM
And also due to the amount of filth and pollution in both rivers.
August 13, 2005 06:40AM
I was trying to be polite and not mention that.
August 29, 2005 07:29PM
I saw them in the East River but can't find a place to rent them....have you guys seen Hitch?
GKM
August 30, 2005 09:21AM
We're getting closer. It does say Hudson river!
(518) 696-3072

Jet Ski Rentals at
the Elms Waterfront Cottages
Kawasaki STX®-12F 3 Passenger Jet Ski
Rentals:
Glide across the Hudson River with the wind blowing through your hair on these exciting jet skis. Tubes, knee boards and water skis available. Water shoes available. Must be 18, drivers license, and have safety training with Elms staff be for qualified.

Includes: Gas & Tax
1 person 2 person 3 person
1/2 hour $65 $75 $85
1 hour $105 $125 $145

September 03, 2005 11:37AM
Believe it or not, I, just this past thursday 8/31/05, was standing on the eastside FDR river walkway around 120th street enjoying the scenery of the end of the day and thinking how nice it would be to navigate a small boat around the city when suddenly six or seven jet skis came zooming around the turn heading downtown in the middle of the east river. I immediately said to myself that I have to do it. That's how i ended up on this site. I am also looking for information to rent a jet ski in the city. I don't know if it actually means anything but Will smith rented jet skis and rode on the Hudson in the movie Hitch. still searching Blue.
Re: renting jetskis Hudson River
September 04, 2005 10:45AM
that place that rents and it says the Hudson River with the 518 number is three hours from New York City
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 14 plus 14?
Online Users

Guests: 9