Safe areas of Brooklyn

Posted by daveman 
Safe areas of Brooklyn
June 25, 2005 07:51PM
Does anyone know if Bed- Stuy Brooklyn is a safe area? I have heard it is not, but I have seen a few apts online that look nice- nice from the inside. How about East NY? I know that was a bad area as I did an internship there about four years ago, is it still? I am going to Hunter and have looked in Astoria and other areas of Queens, but I can grab the 5, 6, or F train out of Brooklyn, express, and get there in somewhat timely fashion, no? On a budget for school, being able to look in Brooklyn in addition to Queens will certainly open some more apt options. Thanks for your help. Dave
Red
Re: Safe areas of Brooklyn
June 25, 2005 08:41PM
Both of those areas are among the poorest and most dangerous of NYC. Street crime is still a distinct problem in both Bed-Stuy and East New York, make no mistake. Black middle-class pioneers are carving out safe spaces in Bed-Stuy and Indian and Guyanese immigrants are establishing themselves in East New York, but those areas are still part of the bottom of the barrel for NYC, safety wise.
Leo
June 28, 2005 01:06PM
If I were you I'd rather share in a nice/safe area than trying to save money living in the worst areas of the city. Astoria is certainly a better bet than Bed Stuy or East NY.
June 30, 2005 02:30PM
There are nice parts of Bed-Stuy. Stuyvesant Hieghts has some beautiful brownstone blocks and many restaurants and galleries have popped up in the neighborhood. But this area is not especially cheap though.

Steer clear of the G train stops at Beford-Nostrand and Myrtle Willoughby. These are quite unsavory and many postings in this area will masquerade as "South Williamsburg" or "Clinton Hill."

You can also try the Montrose and Morgan stops off of the L train. This is a safe area and still relatively cheap.
June 30, 2005 03:49PM
also try the Dekalb and halsey stops off the L train. Also decent.
Anonymous
January 09, 2008 11:09PM
Why don't you try around Crown Heights? Around there is safe, you can easily catch the 5 there also.
Danielle
January 11, 2008 12:55PM
As a Brooklyn resident, I would be willing to consider any neighborhood excluding Brownsville, East New York, Bushwick or Bed Stuy.
Annonymous
May 16, 2008 04:36PM
I live in bet stuy. And unless you have grown up in a city of some sort, don't move here. Its not safe to walk around in at night unless you "know people".
January 27, 2009 08:57PM
Hai, I’m Halim from Malaysia, I’m thinking of spending this winter in New York. Just need your kind help, where can I find reasonable holidays apartment in Manhatten that is safe to stay and easy to reach.

Halim, Malaysia
January 27, 2009 09:01PM
Hai, I’m Halim from Malaysia, I’m thinking of spending this winter in New York. Just need your kind help, where can I find reasonable holidays apartment in Manhatten that is safe to stay and easy to reach.

Halim, Malaysia
Oliver Fish
January 21, 2011 08:42AM
Hi.

Im a 24 year old white male and i lived in Bed Stuy between Marcy and Tompkins when i first moved to New York. I strongly recommend NOT to move there. The area is dangerous, as is any area with predominately low socio-economic residents. I was on the G stop, Bedford Nostrandt and their isnt a time night or day when i beleive the area to be safe as i got hassled all the time. The amount of money you may save on rent isnt worth the amount you may lose getting mugged and there nohing quitelike that warm cozy feeling you get when you hear gunshots as your watch television at night. People say this or that but i'd say its not worth it and dont expect any help from the police either, unless you got a serious assualt they're generally disinterested. there are better areas in New York stay out of the hood, be advised.
June 19, 2011 04:54PM
Oliver--have you actually been mugged in that area? Or are you just paranoid?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 3?
Online Users

Guests: 9