Mysterious Red Fluff

Posted by Susan 
Mysterious Red Fluff
March 10, 2005 12:38PM
Hello,

I am from Europe but I have lived in NYC for short periods, usually subleting people's apartments. I always find that the dust and fluff that collects around the apartment (eg. under tables and behind furniture) has a very red color. There was nothing in the apartments which could account for the red fluff, no red furniture or red blankets or red coats, and in fact even the dust which collects on the bathtub seems to be tinted red. And the apartments were in very different parts of Manhattan so it wasn't a local phenomenon. Has anyone else noticed this, and does anybody have any ideas why it's like that? I have traveled around many parts of the world but have never seen red dust anywhere else!!

Thanks,
Susan
Re: Mysterious Red Fluff
March 10, 2005 12:58PM
I don't know the answer to your question Susan, but have to say it's one of the most intriguing that I have read!...and I'm now waiting with baited breath for the locals to give an explanation smiling smiley
March 10, 2005 01:45PM
Hmmm, a phenomenom I have yet to see or hear of. Sure it's not the red chenille throw I got for Christmas. I had to throw it out, and am still finding red fluff. Maybe that's it! They all threw out their red chenille throws, but it's still haunting them!
Kelly M
March 10, 2005 06:14PM
I have no idea what this is! Maybe it's a manhattan thing, in any of my brooklyn apartments there has been no red fluff. strange.
KM!
March 10, 2005 06:24PM
Red would know the answer!
March 11, 2005 12:21AM
I have no idea what you are talking about, I have been living here for 13 months and before that on and off for 10 months and I can't believe how little dust there is plus I still haven't seen any insects. Coming from Australia I find it really strange not to see lots of spiders, cockroaches, flies, native birds etc and lots of red dust. The dust here is minimal and has no colour, red dust is not something I've seen in Manhattan, red dust is normal in Australia because a lot of our land is red.
this is happening to me in paris, france too! the exact same phenomenon - red, sort of fluffy dust. tons of it! and its happened in two different apartments - the only similarity i can find that might explain it is that both flats had exposed wooden beams in the ceilings. do you have this too?
April 22, 2008 08:03AM
A red dust bunny?I really have not noticed any specs of red in our ever growing assortment of dust bunnies. But I am conerned over our 'bunnies' it's strange how quickly they grow. Thank God for the Swifter.
October 22, 2012 03:46PM
did you ever find out what it was??? I have this in my apartment too!
October 25, 2012 08:00AM
how odd!
April 20, 2021 07:13AM
I have this in CT, in a house built in 1932 and renovated in the '50s. It's a definite red color, and it's everywhere. It isn't blanket lint. I don't own anything that's this color.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 3 plus 3?
Online Users

Guests: 23