The United States as seen by a Native New Yorker

Posted by Karen Beth 
Hello,

The last time I was in NYC, I dined at Palm Too and saw a print there by Tony Graham titled "The United States As Seen by a Native New Yorker". I really want a print of this but cannot find one ANYWHERE! Any help or direction for me!!?!? THANKS!
Google turned up a beautiful still life, but nothing else. I would call the manager of the Palm Too and see if he can point you in the right direction.
Oracle
Re: The United States as seen by a Native New Yorker
September 29, 2004 02:14PM
Just by the title, my guess would be a cover illustration from The New Yorker from about 30 years ago. The one I'm thinking of shows a map of New York as the center of the universe. Could that be it?
September 29, 2004 02:15PM
Wow, you really do live up to your name....spooky!
Even spookier if you are right!
Oracle
September 29, 2004 02:27PM
Nah, sorry, wrong one. Here's the one I was thinking of, but it's by Saul Steinberg:

[www.cartoonbank.com]

My memory's better than I thought, though. I was only off by 2 years.
September 29, 2004 02:33PM
I'm still impressed, what a memory! I can't remember which year I took photo's of my children!
I've tried Googling for the artist in question but still hven't got further than the still life that Rita found.
HI, Thanks for ALL your help. The New Yorker isn't the one I saw. The one I saw is completely black and white and is very exagerated ( if that makes sense ). I mean that the world around Manhattan is very small and not very detailed, in the drawing, but Manhattan is huge and booming! It is great!

I did contact Palm Too some time ago and they are actually the ones who provided the artist's name for me. They didn't know anything else about it or him and couldn't tell me where to get a print or if prints had been made. So, if any of you do run across it, please keep me in mind! I would REALLY love to have one.

THANKS again!
gary gerber
April 25, 2012 07:03AM
What you probaly saw was an original lithogrph (xxx/200) date 1977 by the late tony graham.
Karen...

I hope this message gets to you, as your post was very old-over a decade ago! I believe the piece you are looking for is entitled "THE UNITED STATES OF NEW YORK". I grew up in New York City, just around the corner from Tony Graham's studio. I have spent much of my life searching for and collecting his artwork. I have over a dozen pieces of his work, ranging from posters/prints to lithographs and even a couple originals.

You can view the piece I am referring to about 1/3 of the way down the page from its top. Here is the link:

[blueskygis.blogspot.com]

Let me know if this is what you were looking for. I do not have that piece, I have been focusing on the Manhattan specific pieces. I can put you in touch with the gallery that handles his artwork. It was previously owned by the artist.

I hope this helps!
Be blessed...
Chris. =]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 1?
Online Users

Guests: 22