Visit

Posted by Warren 
Visit
November 29, 2002 07:52PM
Hi everyone-
I'm planning my first trip to New York next spring, and I was wondering where all the hot spots are, and, most importantly, how I can "blend in," and not look like some annoying tourist. Thanks!
-Warren
Kimberley
Re: Visit
December 02, 2002 05:05PM
I would have to know your interests to advise what the "hot spots" are....there are sooo many that it depends on what you're in to.
But, I can give some pointers how not to look like a tourist. The first thing I'd advise is DON'T JUST STAND IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SIDEWALK. That's one thing that will give you away immediately. Also, IF YOU ARE ON AN ESCALATOR, FOR INSTANCE IN THE SUBWAY STATIONS, YOU STAND ON THE RIGHT, WALK ON THE LEFT. Only tourists stand on escalators on the left side. People get angry. Basically, just hurry up! and you'll blend right in! But don't be afraid to ask directions if you need to, people are usually pretty helpful and friendly. I've lived here for years and still need to ask directions sometimes.
December 04, 2002 10:39PM
If you're coming with other people, and travel by subway, STAY TOGETHER. If one person is still behind the turnstile when the rest are in, and a train is in the station, do not get in. Stand by the turnstile until you are all together. If for some reason you do get separated, get off at the next station. This should be part of your travel plan, and communicated to all parties.

Buy a Metrocard--if you're in town for a week, it's $17 (will probably go up soon, but will still be a good deal) for _unlimited_ bus and subway travel. These cannot be shared, and can't be used less than 18 minutes before a previous use.

What Kimberly said about escalators--and DO NOT stand at the bottom to make a decision. This can lead to a dangerous pileup on you if those following you have nowhere to step away.

Above all, have fun!
December 09, 2002 01:49PM
You need to juss b yourself cause we neva judje a book by it's cover. o ya if u wanna know ware to party and have a good time then u gots to go to Queens cuz they got so many hot spots ova down thare well i'm out hope you liked hearin from a real Newyoricansmiling smiley

Much love

Cassandra Nevarro
yo
December 14, 2002 12:52PM
what is nweyork like

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2005 04:23PM by (n/a).
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 12 plus 1?
Online Users

Guests: 10