Greek Jokes

Posted by Marea 
Greek Jokes
August 17, 2004 10:38AM
Okay, I'm introducing an Australian tradition to askanewyorker. When something like the Olympics is on, or a country is in the spot light for some event one must have a series of jokes about that country. Remember that Australia has a very big Greek population so these are some snippets from the papers there.

Word Definitions.

Condescending A Greek parachutist
Contact A Greek diplomat
Conversing A Greek poet
Parthenon A deadend street in Athens
Acropolis A Greek accident
Convexed An angry Athenian
Content A Greek Wigwam
Conflagaration A Greek fireman

Did you hear about the Greek Boxers? There was Sugar Diabetes and Harry Stotle who beat O'Nassis the Irish heavyweight.

In 42BC Marc Anthony returned from a battle in Macedonia to be told that Cleopatra was in bed with meningitis. To which Marc Anthony replied, "That Greek Bastard, I'll kill him".
Re: Greek Jokes
August 17, 2004 12:26PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Red
August 17, 2004 12:35PM
Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't get it. Obviously what's supposed to be funny is that ... do many Greek Australian names start with "Con"? Is that it?

I live in a very Greek neighborhood and that's not the case here ... we have names like Alexandropoulos and Christodoulidou and Argiropoulos ...
August 17, 2004 12:49PM
Con, short for Constantine, is the most common Greek first name in Australia, Nick would be a close second.
August 17, 2004 01:03PM
Alexandropoulos, Alexandrou, Christodoulu, Lazarou, Satouris, Stathopoulos, Caligouros and Kouriatous are some of the surnames of people I'm friendly with in Australia. The girl who replaced me in my job back home is Greek Australian but is married to a guy from Astoria, their name is Souris. She lived there for the first year or two they were married then they moved back to Australia, he hasn't been back to Queens since. Hopefully they might get the chance soon.
Red
August 17, 2004 02:48PM
Ahhhhhhhh ... now I get it. That's not the case over here.
August 17, 2004 03:15PM
It's my fault, I should have explained about Con before adding the rest. There used to even be a comedy character called Con the Fruiterer. It seemed that every second fruit shop or fish and chip shop in Australia used to be owned by a Greek called Con.
August 17, 2004 03:27PM
LMAO!!!! That's funny!
How about:
Content - the Greek camper
Concent - the Greek banker
Concert - the Greek gambler
Concrete - the Greek from Crete!
Condole - the layabout Greek
Confine - the Greek policeman
Confluent - the Greek linguist
Conjugal - the Greek that ran away to join the circus
and not forgetting
Constrain - the Greek that invented laxatives
August 17, 2004 03:58PM
Fantastic, Lisa. You're so good.
August 17, 2004 04:00PM
Con the fruiterer had daughters named, Toula, Voula, Soula, Roula and Agape.
August 17, 2004 04:01PM
LMAO! Now that is funny!
August 17, 2004 11:51PM
Those were fantastic Lisa, will have my daughter check out this thread. Her kind of humor for sure! I can just hear her now!

The Greeks in my city are either Nick's or Pete's and they are all related, and they own all the restaurants. Well one Pete in particular does anyway.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 16 plus 15?
Online Users

Guests: 13