5 Boroughs

Posted by Todd Ressel 
5 Boroughs
December 16, 2002 06:51PM
Please help us eliminate a discussion down here in Texas? What are the five burroughs of New York?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2009 12:35PM by askanewyorker.
Crazy4NYC
Re: 5 Boroughs
December 16, 2002 09:37PM
the five boroughs are Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and The Bronx

hope that helped

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2009 11:50AM by askanewyorker.
Re: 5 Boroughs
January 01, 2003 07:00PM
what is the population of the five burroughs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2009 07:06AM by askanewyorker.
Fiona
Re: 5 Burroughs
January 02, 2003 11:27AM
New York City is the largest city in the United States with a population exceeding seven million people. It is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world. New York City is located on the eastern coast of the United States, at the mouth of the Hudson River. New York City is made up of five boroughs, separated by various waterways. Brooklyn and Queens occupy the western portion of Long Island, Staten Island and Manhattan are islands, and the Bronx is attached to mainland New York State.
July 08, 2008 07:58PM
Todd Ressel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please help us eliminate a discussion down here in
> Texas? What are the five burroughs of New York?

I have another question related to the burroughs of New York. I apologize if this is an idiotic question however I told my co-worker I was born in Brooklyn, New York so he says I am from New York City. I say, no I'm from Brooklyn. He says it's the same thing. Is he correct?
Red
July 08, 2008 08:46PM
Brooklyn is part of New York City. Both things are true. You are from Brooklyn, which is in New York City.

The populations are - Brooklyn 2.5m, Queens 2.3m, Manhattan 1.5m, Bronx 1.4m, Staten Island 350k.
July 08, 2008 09:18PM
Thanks Red!
July 11, 2008 11:37PM
Nicole,

Just to respond to your initial question ...

Many people who live in manhattan refer to manhattan as "the city", though Red is correct in stating that in fact all five burroughs are part of NYC.
November 26, 2008 01:30AM
I got a couple of questions about NYC.

1) I always thought that Harlem was on of the Burroughs???
2) Why exactly are they called Burroughs instead of towns??
3) Do people actually give directions using street #'s (eg 45th and 2nd...just some random numbers) or is that only in movies?
Jay
November 26, 2008 05:41AM
Harlem is part of Manhattan.
People do actually give directions by saying the street and the avenue. You pretty much have to say the cross-streets. If you just say "680 Fifth Ave", no one will know where that is. You would say, to a taxi driver for instance, "bring me to Fifth ave between 53rd and 54th".
Red
November 26, 2008 02:59PM
They're called "boroughs" because, well, that's what they are. NYC is all one town; it has five boroughs, divided into neighborhoods. Each borough is also a county.

There's a history behind this. What is now NYC was originally several different cities and counties. When it was all unified in 1898, the "borough" system was invented to replace the old county governments. Queens, for instance, was originally the towns of Newtown, Elmhurst, Long Island City, Flushing, and Jamaica, among others. Brooklyn was the city of Brooklyn, but also at various times the towns of Flatbush, Flatlands, New Lots and others. Creating the boroughs streamlined the government system.
November 26, 2008 05:53PM
There are other boroughs in the United States, although most are located in the Northeast. For example, New Jersey has a Princeton borough. They follow a similar structure to New York's borough system with some certain differences.

As for Harlem, it's located on the Northwestern part of Manhattan island and is considered a neighborhood, not a borough.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 10?
Online Users

Guests: 8