Kings Highway Brooklyn

Posted by dave 
Kings Highway Brooklyn
January 18, 2006 10:41PM
Looking to take a trip back after 20 years. Here is what I'd like to go back too. Thanks in advance..

I really hope someone from Brooklyn, NY can help me. Try not to make this too long. 20 years ago I live in Brooklyn, NY but worked in Manhattan.
Hope I can remember all of this correctly. I remember that the last train I took was the D train from Manhattan to Brooklyn. I got off at the Kings Highway stop. When I would cross over the street after getting off the subway to catch a bus to go about another mile home, I would always grab a slice of pizza. This place was basically right there were I crossed the street. If I remember correctly, it was just on the other side of the road from the steps I came down from the subway.
If it helps, I also remember a Wendy's around there to , but this seems to come to mind as being like upstairs nearer to the subway train area?
Now, it may just be a young kid remembering the best slice of pizza ever because he was hungry, or just young..lol, but it was always great. I would just love to know the name of this place and if it is still there..?
Also, what part of Brooklyn is this area called or known as?
I lived off this pizza! Want to tell others about it if it's still there?
Drazy thing about this being such good pizza is that this area seemed to be a Jewish area? Or at least where I lived was?
Maybe it was further than I thought, as far as the bus ride home, once I got off the train, grabbed my pizza, then caught the bus.
At the corner where the bus left me off, down the road was where I lived. There was a grocery store on one corner and a Jewish House of worship on the other corner.
I would also love to remember the name of this road, and cannot.
I wish I could remember what direction I went on bus...
It was cool, I was young and rented a basement apartment for cheap in a cool brownstone from a Jewish family who sort of took me in..what times those were.
I must have gone either south or west on the highway on the bus.
Anyway, sorry this was so long and thanks for your time.
Great memories.
If anyone can help me with this area, is this still a safe area?
Or, what areas of Brooklyn are considered safe?
Thank you so much!
Re: Kings Highway Brooklyn
January 19, 2006 08:45AM
I can't help with specifics, but I fondly remember a fantastic pizza place that was under the el on the D line. I can't recall whether it was at the Ave. J or Ave. M station though. I thought I'd toss that out to you since it may be the same place you remember -- Kings Hwy is just one stop away from there.

I know the area around Ave. J and Ave. M is called Midwood and it's become a largely Hassidic neighborhood, but I don't know whether that extends toward Kings Hwy. I lived there for a short time in the early seventies, and Midwood then was Jewish and Italian.

Red knows everything! I'm sure he'll respond. (Hi Red!)
January 19, 2006 09:20AM
That would be very cool to here more, I just wish I could remember more as I really, really want to go back to this EXACT area for a lot of reasons. I am also wanting to make sure that it still is a safe area to go to, but after trying to look at new subway routes, a Brooklyn library map-for area references, and reading post about areas, it appears to still be a good area, if I am in the right area.
Is this area considered like or around Sheepshead Bay, Midwood, Kings Highway (around Ocean Avenue/Ocean Parkway)?
The word 'Ocean' sounds very familiar to me.
Now, it appears at lokking at the current subway route map that there are three diff subway routes going to three diff areas of Kings Highway? Was it always this way? I remember these stops being on my way home-I believe I was on that one that did the Parkside, Prospect, Church, Newkirk, Avenues H,J,M. I skipped a few, but you get the idea. So it looks like I was the more northeastern route, with two more being below to like the southwest.
The things I remember don't really help because these were on every corner. Like I could also say on the same side of the road as the pizza place, there was like a small store or drugstore on the corner. Trying to find the exact street I lived on as I took a bus home down Kings Highway-doesn't do much good to mention a Jewish house of worship, as these were all over. But maybe mentioning the large grocery store that was across from it would help. Not sure how many large grocery stores there were. I remember this grocery being by itself, rather large. Like a normal grocery store you see in suburban neighborhoods. Mentioning a laundromat on the same side of the road as the grocery, but further down, that I could walk to. Or a bus stop also on the same corner as the grocery store, Jewish house of worship. This was also the corner of the street I lived on. Going the other way from this stuff, towards where I lived, then keep walkkng past that, there was a park, bit I am sure there were/are tons of parks.
I see there is still a D train, but it goes to Coney Island and none of the stops on the way look familiar, and there is no Kings Highway stop, to far southwest for that. They must have changed train numbers or routes?

Where can I find a online mamp of this area that will show me all the small fine street names too?

How about this. I am positive that my train route is now what is the subway line of Q and B going into Brooklyn. How about this. Is this stop in between Coney Island Ave and Ocean Ave? Ocean Ave sounds very familiar. How about even more deatained. Is this stop/area in between like E 16th or 17th St? I know for sure my stop was Kings Highway and I took the D train. Gues this had changed. Anyway, the current subway maps are great, but I'd like to either know some of the other cross streets around this area or see a fine deatailed street map of this area.

Saying I lived in the basement of a brownstone sure doesn't help! LOL!

Thanks! Cannot wait to see who will crack this for me!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2006 10:07AM by (n/a).
January 19, 2006 08:01PM
There are lots of Russians in the area nowadays. Brooklyn in those places is very safe. But can't you write less? It's kind of boring to read all this crap.
January 19, 2006 09:20PM
'All This Crap'? Post like this always crack me up. Who is forcing you to read this 'all this crap?'
No, I can't write less when I am trying to get my point accross.
Unreal to call it boring and crap when no one is forcing you to read this.
Why did you even reply?
Wel, I won't be back here. This is pure bull.
And before you say if I can't take something like this, I can't live in NY, not the case, I just don't get the point to even reading it, then even replying to it if you are going to reply this way.
That's just down right a bull statement to say about something that means so much to someone that you don't even know.
When it got boring and crappy, why did you keep going.
Question, why is it CRAP!?!?!?!?!?!
People in your life must just love the heck out of you.
Your few no point stupid response was so much more boring than what I wrote.
This is a forum, you should expect to read and not everything you are going to enjoy, but the big point is that you don't have to be here reading this. I am shaking my head right now not understanding you at all, but I have met people like you, but I will be kind.
I don't understand why you would even reply or post the way you did. What, you don't understand that this is just a way of trying to get everything accross. If you don't want to read, why are you here? Boring life?
I bet you are the poster child for why some people few New Yorkers as they do. Good thing I never met someone like you when I was there or I would have completely different memories than I do now.
Why would you even tell someone it's crap and boring. That flat out stinks.
Thanks for bursting someone's bubble.
If this is boring and crap, you're a jerk. Would love to say much more, but this is a open forum.
Why did you keep reading when it got boring and crappy? Why did you even reply. I totally do not understand people who see life and things like you do. You must be a lonely miserable soul.
I am going to stop and just leave this site before I really tell you how I feel and what you can go do with yourself.
Just proves what I knew and felt was right deep down. Just do it yourself and don't ask for help from anyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2006 09:48PM by (n/a).
January 20, 2006 08:19AM
Dave just ighore Albert he is a serial pest.
January 20, 2006 11:20AM
please ignore him, usually HIS crap is caught and deleted, but this one must have fallen through the cracks.
January 21, 2006 08:21AM
Agreed. I enjoyed your post.... please remember that for every crass idiot (or bored child?) out there, you'll find many more people who want to hear what you have to say.
February 27, 2006 04:38PM
If you would like to stay at a home near Kings Highway, please contact

Sara's NY Homestay
212 564 5979
www.sarahomestay.com

$490 per week - bed and breakfast private home
shared kitchen/bath
March 14, 2006 08:08AM
I just read your original post. Your Kings Highway is now served by the Q and B trains as you figured out in a later post.

I would call the area Kings Highway. The Highway around the subway station was and is a main street. It is a safe area.

Wendy's is no longer. Before Wendy's there was Dubrow's cafeteria, one of the last cafeterias in Brooklyn.

I lived a couple of stops down on the Brighton line at Sheepshead Bay, so I really didn't hang out on the Highway, even though I went to James Madison High School in the 50's.

I have a friend who grew up in the area and I'll ask him if he knows the pizza place that you're talking about.

Someone in this thread mentioned a fabulous pizza place, which I think is DiFaras on Ave J, about a block from the subway station. The owner Dominick DeMarco has been making pizza there for close to 50 years. His place is ranked right up there as Best Pizza in NYC. I just love watching him work. He's the only one who makes the pizza. He grates his cheese and uses 3 different kinds. In the evening, people will be lined up and he works in a sort of zen like state.
Take a look at the picture in this link. Does it looks like the place you used to go years ago?

[www.newyorkmetro.com]

Hope this can help you remember. Good luck in your romantic search of your good memories.
March 31, 2006 03:44PM
Heypaul and Colombiano, you guys ROCK, and are an example of why I love this website - good people.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 7?
Online Users

Guests: 12