Central Park Picnic Areas

Posted by nancepants 
Central Park Picnic Areas
May 14, 2009 11:35AM
Hello;

I would like to have a group of my friends get together in Central Park for a causal picnic.

I'm hoping weather co-operates so we can just put blankets down and eat on the grass but in case of rain, are there any covered areas in the park?

Anything that has picnic tables or a gazebo or anything>

Any suggestions for a Plan B of where to gather in the park if it rains?

Thanks,

Nancy
Oracle?
Re: Central Park Picnic Areas
May 15, 2009 12:29PM
There aren't any covered picnic places. There are a few rustic shelters around the park, but you also might find a homeless person living there, so I wouldn't plan a picnic in one! The Ladies Pavilion would give you a bit of shelter from the rain, but, again, I wouldn't picnic there. If you're picnicking on a lawn and it starts to rain, you could duck under a bridge, or Bethesda Terrace if you're nearby.

My suggestion: if the weather is iffy, skip the whole picnic idea and just have lunch at the Boathouse.

www.centralparknyc.org
May 29, 2009 09:12AM
Nope - no shelters big enough. You can hide in the porch of the Dairy, in the Boathouse cafe, in the Arsenal or cafe by the Zoo, in the Castle (no picnics), under the awnings at the Delacorte, at the Dana center at Harlem Meer, in Cop Cot, under bridges or the Minton Arch by the Bethesda fountain, or pop into the Met Museum for a small donation have coffee and dry off :-)

Bring umbrellas and something to sit on and a park MAP (free at the Dairy and Castle at Chess and CHeckers, etc.)
July 09, 2009 12:30PM
Great suggestions! Thank you!

Im wondering which, if any of those mentioned, are closest to the Alice in Wonderland monument?

Any shelters or bridges we can duck for cover under around there?

Thanks again!

Nancy
Oracle?
July 09, 2009 01:31PM
Alice is just across the East Drive from the Boathouse Restaurant.
Does central park have an close restrooms if I go on a quick jog
March 05, 2014 06:16PM
Here's a link to an interactive map, from the park's official web site. Click on the restroom icon to find restrooms.
[www.centralparknyc.org]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 15?
Online Users

Guests: 15