Where to live?

Posted by byeakel 
Where to live?
January 17, 2014 12:52AM
Hi! I currently live in Santa Barbara, California. I'm a 19 year old female and am planning on moving to NY to attend the John Jay College of Criminal Justice. I'm starting to look at apartments/rooms for rent, but it's pricy. There seem to be cheaper options in Harlem/East Harlem. Can anyone tell me about this area? I'd also love to know about any areas I should stay away from in my apartment hunt. Thank you soo much!!
Re: Where to live?
January 20, 2014 07:54PM
It's nearly impossible to weed out the scams among all the share listings. How would you know if the ad is legitimate and the place even exists? To be sure, do not send money to anyone, and of course don't give your personal information to an internet stranger either, no matter how "nice" they sound. Be careful!

You should see if the school offers share listings. Or take a room at a hostel or residence. That way you can network with other students and check leads. Your best bet is a share situation, a landlord will not rent to a student. They require that you have proof of annual income that is 40 times your monthly rent, and I'm pretty sure you must be 21.

Here are a few links that might help you. Be aware these are only short-term solutions.
[www.ihouse-nyc.org]
[www.thebrandon.org]
[www.hiusa.org]

Also check the YMCA residences -- the West Side Y would be most convenient, the Vanderbilt Y is also good.

Best of luck to you!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 1 plus 5?
Online Users

Guests: 8