Guides / Books

Posted by Chris 
Guides / Books
May 11, 2004 06:11PM
When I arrive in NYC next week (can't wait !) I'd like to pick up a copy of the "Not For Tourists" guide to NYC 2004. Anyone know which store(s) are most likely to carry these ?

Also, since I plan on spending at least half a day in Brooklyn (where I'm going with a Big Apple Greeter - yihay!) , The Bronx and Queens, I think it may be a good idea to get a street guide to the whole of NYC. I'm considering going to some more "remote" places like Flushing, Jamaica in Queens and Fordham in the Bronx, and I guess it's not a very good idea to venture out there without being able to look up exactly where you are, in case there's a problem... I'd rather go for a book, not a map or set of maps. Any recommendations as to which one to get ? Would I be able to pick up a good, affordable one at the Strand Bookstore ?

Thanks for answering.
Chris.
Re: Guides / Books
May 12, 2004 04:39AM
Barnes nd Noble might carry it, though I do suggest you get a good guide book BEFORE you arrive!
I found the Streetwise map invaluable, they have several different ones for New York City: [www.streetwisemaps.com]
These maps are also sold by Barnes and Noble.
Have a great trip.
May 12, 2004 05:47AM
Thanks for the tip, I'll certainly check on those at Barnes and Noble.

Actually, I have several guidebooks on New York + a large Manhattan foldout map already. I'd just like to get a copy of NFT New York 2004 when I'm there, since I only recently found out about that series. It's too late to order by mail as I'm leaving for NYC next week. If I buy it there I can put it to use right away.

Anybody else here know about the NFT series, or where they might be available in Manhattan ?
May 12, 2004 06:24AM
Glad to hear you aren't leaving unprepared!
November 14, 2013 05:15PM
Discovering Vintage New York
By Mitch Broder

As Manhattan succumbs to the big chain stores and tourist traps that come with the modern age, it struggles to maintain its storied identity. Fortunately for locals and visitors alike, a number of classic restaurants, shops and other establishments still thrive today that evoke the unique charm of the city.

From The Four Seasons to Serendipity 3, from Katz's Deli to Café Carlyle, from the Oyster Bar to The Donut Pub, all the landmarks are here in the first and only book to collect all the best of Manhattan's timeless spots. Discovering Vintage New York is your guide to 50 profiled restaurants, shops, delis, nightspots, bars, and cafés that have lasted half a century or more. But they’re not merely old. Or historical. Or old and historical. These spots evoke a bygone metropolis. They are lost in time, yet compellingly timely. Whether they span decades or centuries, they are vibrant, quirky, and just plain fun to explore.
Discovering Vintage New York takes you to a city of egg creams and knishes, of record stores and hat shops, of bohemian basements and candlelit clubs. Start reading, and start your discovering now!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 12?
Online Users

Guests: 25