Chaperoning (and Coping) with a Tourist Group

Posted by Tom 
As a New Yorker living in New England, I often get the opportunity to guide close friends and acquaintances around the City, to mixed results. Characteristics my out of town friends exhibit that grate on me - the assumption that because X place was seen on a map it must be close by, in "walking distance" which is a variable term (what is walking distance to me is not to a friend from Vermont), a desire to see A B C D attractions in one day but an unwillingness to walk faster to get there, and tied into this, a lack of understanding about the timing of city life (as in the examples of, not thinking it important to walk faster down subway stairs as the desired train pulls into the station and opens its doors, or not standing up to get out of a packed subway car until the doors open). I don't cope with my friends' lack of energy and endurance well. I walk faster than the group, and have to hold up to wait for them. I am probably perceived as being rude on these trips; I am just a New Yorker who expects everyone to get it, that if you want to do a whirlwind day trip in NYC and you bring me along to be a coordinator/navigator, you need to step up and play by Big City Rules.

What can I do in the future to cope with my tourist friends on these outings? I hate walking slower and shorter distances, but I have to accept my stamina and comfort in the City isn't and will never be theirs.

Tom
Re: Chaperoning (and Coping) with a Tourist Group
November 26, 2013 05:39PM
LOL! Tom I feel for you. I am not a NY'er BUT when there I fit right in. I am a fast walker. My husband calls it my 'bus stop walk'. I can walk forever and love it.
Believe me there have been friends who have said 'I really want to go to NY with you!' and in my head I think no way jose - your pace would drive me up the wall.

Seriously though - I think you should email them before they come the list of BIG CITY RULES before they get there, and then give them the list once they arrive. Then you can shout out BIG CITY RULES!!! when they are flagging. In fact I will keep that in mind for the friends/family I do decide to go with.

Rule #1 - Wear comfortable shoes. Do not break in your new sandals, etc in NY. You will slow everyone down.
Re: Chaperoning (and Coping) with a Tourist Group
November 27, 2013 09:29AM
It sounds like you don't enjoy playing tour guide at all. So don't do it! If you've got friends and family coming to New York, maybe you can offer advice and directions, and leave the tour guide job to professionals.
Good advice, Oracle. I have suspected that myself. What I think this really stems from, is a feeling of being tethered to a group, when I would rather walk in the City alone, unencumbered. Thanks!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 16?
Online Users

Guests: 13