Why are New Yorkers so rude?

Posted by Fred 
I really want to go to New York City, but from what I'm hearing, I am not sure if I should!
Re: Why are New Yorkers so rude?
November 17, 2011 11:30AM
Not wanting to state the obvious, but the person who originally started this thread hasn't replied..... ever. And now poor Michelle is being put off going to the best city in the world! Michelle, go to New York. The people are no ruder than the people where you come from. I have always found them to be polite, kind, helpful and welcoming.

Was once van Mullem, am now just Cozz!
November 17, 2011 06:15PM
Good Answer Cozz!

I love NY and have made the most amazing friends there. I have never had anyone be rude to me. Just the opposite. I would go once a year for a week if I could.
November 21, 2011 04:36AM
Morning Salsa! Personally, I'd move there if I could. If any NYer out there knows of a job going for a damn good English teacher (that's me), let me know!

Was once van Mullem, am now just Cozz!
January 24, 2012 05:36AM
Travel + Leisure magazine has determined New York is now the rudest city in America, knocking three-time champion Los Angeles out of the top spot.

Some New Yorkers tell 1010 WINS’ Terry Sheridan we’re just misunderstood.

[beta.local.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 05:38AM by askanewyorker.
January 24, 2012 05:51AM
I think the tourists are rude...standing on the left side of escalators, stopping in big groups in the middle of busy sidewalks...etc etc!
January 26, 2012 02:45PM
Well for what my opinion is worth (2x visitor to NY) me and my girlfriend have NEVER had any problems, friendly helpful shop staff and members of the public (especially the anonymous guy who helped us when we were struggling in the East Village!!) Even two randomly encountered homeless guys were absolutely lovely!! We both find NY a LOT friendlier than anywhere we've been in the UK!! The only person we had a problem with was a front of house guy in Maxi's restaraunt times square, his attitude was disgraceful,iv never been so poorly treated anywhere ever before.He queried our order "because we were english and americans eat bigger portions than us" and scrawled all over our bill because no doubt he felt "us english" couldnt possibly fathom the tip/service system,what infuriated me the most was that he didnt even give us chance,we were just treated like idiotic tourists,and i was so angry i nearly DIDNT leave any tip at all. We were really really disappointed because on our previous visit Maxi's had blown us away so much we couldnt wait to eat there again. I would recommend NY to ANYONE,in my eyes its the greatest city in the world, AND ALWAYS WILL BE!!!!
January 28, 2012 07:20AM
There is a cartoon quality to the relationship between New Yorkers and tourists, a Road Runner and Wylie Coyote tug-of-war that causes steam to pour from locals’ ears and visitors to run screeching over cliffs. It is an exaggerated, farcical, co-dependent relationship, and one that was flamed this week by Travel & Leisure magazine’s annual “America’s Favorite Cities” survey. The public has spoken, and they’ve voted New York as the number one rudest city in the USA. read more...

[askanewyorker.com]

Emily Sproch is a writer and a Sex and the City tour guide. Each Friday, she chronicles the fine line between reality and fiction in her column “Almost Carrie.”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 07:31AM by askanewyorker.
February 07, 2012 04:58PM
As someone who is not a New Yorker but is going to move there in a few months I just had to comment on this chain. Not only is this an asinine generalization it's simply untrue. I've been to New York a few times and each time it has been the most amazing experience. I understand that the city is very fast paced and tried to ensure that I don't stop in the middle of the street to get my bearings, but I had instances where I paused on a sidewalk (out of the flow of walking traffic) to check out the street signs and had new yorkers stop to ask me if I needed directions. Throughout other travels around the country I've met other New Yorkers who have all been incredibly polite and well mannered.

I'm from Portland, Oregon and lived on the West Coast all my life. My opinion is that life out here just moves at a different pace (much slower). Being direct and not overly "touchy feely" like we are here in Portland, is perceived as rude which it just isn't. My last trip to NYC was a couple months ago and I went alone...met up with some friends but spent a good amount of time exploring on my own. As a single, 30 y/o female I never felt afraid or lost. I did ask random New Yorkers a few times for directions or recommendations on where to go and all were more than happy to make suggestions and then move along. Down to the friendly bartenders, taxi drivers, and nypd - it's always been a great experience.

Can't wait to move to NYC this summer, it'll be an experience for sure!
I am a health insurance agent who works with all 50 states. People from New York, not even just NYC, are the most rude and aweful people I encounter. They are the first to yell, the first to curse, and always the first to give you a hard time. I live on the Delaware River in North East PA so I am used to the type of people that live in this part of the country....New York is a whole 'nother monster of its own.
I know this is an old forum, but I was checking in because i'm visiting NYC for the first time later this year...

I understand your frustration about people standing on the 'wrong' side of the escalator and clogging up the footpath (sidewalk, sorry!) - the same thing happens here in Melbourne, because tourists from countries where they drive on the right keep forgetting where they are and standing on the right side of the escalators, walking on the right side of the footpath etc.

I used to get annoyed, but now I just think to myself that it's an easy mistake to make, there are bigger problems in life, and I politely say 'excuse me' and move on. I think we could all afford to lighten up a little.

I'll try to be sure to remember the NYC rules when I visit, but if I slip up, I hope you New Yorkers will forgive me! smiling smiley
I've seen this type of discussions many times before. One asked, "Why are New Yorkers so rude or unfriendly?"

Many New Yorker would respond by saying New Yorkers are the kindest and best people in the world.

Come on, New Yorkers, please allow some freedom of speech! There is a reason why so many people have that perception.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 6?
Online Users

Guests: 10