Why are New Yorkers so rude?

Posted by Fred 
Re: rudeness
November 28, 2005 06:00PM
When I spent my holiday in NYC last September (I'm from Belgium), I never had the feeling that people were rude. In fact, I was stunned to see how friendly and helpful New-Yorkers were, whether in a store or in a public service, or just on the street. And I spent time in several boroughs and had the opportunity to talk to various kinds of people. I even thought that shop owners in my country should better go to NYC and learn what customer care is!
November 29, 2005 10:57AM
Hmm, been twice and never had anyone who was rude. Not once. I am like bxgrl74, if you are rude to me, you will rudely hear what I have to say about it, and that side of me never surfaced.
November 30, 2005 03:33PM
Absolutely LOVED my encounters with NY-ers during my visit. Everyone i talked to was helpful and friendly!
December 01, 2005 09:46AM

New Yorkers are not rude. They are kurt, to the point, and don't go out of their way to "nice" to you. I have found that NYKR's are some of the most polite, courteous, and respectful people. When you live in a city where there are people everywhere, you just block it out and get to where you are going, yet you constantly have to deal with other people and the best way for millions of people to live together is to be polite and courteous.
It can be annoying, especially at the height of tourism when the tourists are meandering down the sidewalks, stopping in the middle to take pictures holding up foot traffic. There is an order and a flow to the city, and NYKR's get annoyed when people are oblivious to that.
In my opinion, it is the tourist who come here to see the City, do not know how to act in an urban setting, and then go home and tell everyone NYKR's are rude,
are in fact the ones who are being rude, not to mention judgemental.
December 05, 2006 08:34AM
Ipods even with the headphones you can hear the music blaring....and the guy was chewing, crackling his gum loudly....all on my bus ride this morning, Tis the season to bemoody smiley
December 06, 2006 09:35AM
I hear you! At least you are tall enough for his backpack to not knock you in the face. That happened to me more than I care to remember during my bus and train days. People need to put those on the floor between their legs. I am so with you on the music blasting through ear plugs. My only consolation is they will soon be totally deaf.
December 11, 2006 04:15PM
I think the way people are makes New York New York..and I love it...whether they are rude (my vote goes to those awfully nice people at the Rainbow Room), or ultra friendly (and a big hello to Alda at Macy*s!) you can't beat the varying cultures and the unpredictability of the population!
February 07, 2008 12:10PM
About being rude, most Northeast and Mid-Atlantic people are rude. Due to a fast pace life. Such as Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and especially Washington DC, where most people are overly hyper, with no respect, and unfriendly. In DC, Pedestrians don't have the right-away when crossing the street when the light saids cross, because motorists will run-the-red-light, and hit you, and move on. When shopping at grocery stores using the cart, rude people like to lean over your cart to get things off a shelf with no pardons. When coming out of an elevator, people like to block the doors so that you can't get out. They do that also when you're getting off a bus or out of a subway train door. Or they like to block all entrances or exit, while BS-ing with someone or group. Most Northeast and Mid-Atlantic people are not raised-up right. Their ignorant with no manners. When they move around, they're too busy operating Cellphones, IPods, Blackberries, and whatever, while J-Walking, driving, and whatever. And they wonder why they're always in trouble or in accidents. Take these people out in the country for a two week test, minus all electronic equipment and TV, and they'll have a nervous breakdown or might comit suicide.
February 07, 2008 07:09PM
What a load of tripe!!!
February 08, 2008 05:29AM
I really wanted to add to this thread because I went to New York last December and never in my whole entire life have I been approached by so many kind and polite people offering their help to me!!

I travelled from Newark airport into Manhattan via bus and the path train with 2 heavy bags, and at every set of stairs or doors I approached someone always offered to help me carry bags or opened doors for me. I was completely overwhelmed with the kindness that people showed to me, because it's simply non-existent where I live in England!

Also, and I’m not sure whether it was just the holiday spirit or something, but everyone from shop assistants to the people I passed on the street would say nice things to me! I wouldn’t’ say I’m a rude person myself but I certainly bought something from the city home with me, and that was simply the manners others showed me when I was there.

As for the cab drivers….well….haha, they weren’t so bad I guess, just doing their job!
February 09, 2008 06:15AM
As someone who just moved here, I have found of plenty of rude people but also plenty of cool people.

I don't think tourists understand the unwritten rules of New York, I mean you wouldn't drive a car and just stop in the middle of the street. It is the same on the sidewalks here. You don't just suddenly stop in the middle.

In another area, sometimes on the subway (particularly at rush hour), you have to be rude. You have no choice. You have to push your way on, and off. Its not something you take personally.

That said, I think alot of people who work / run the smaller shops are rude. Also I got Cuny and my professors are great, but the people in administration are are almost mean/

I get the idea that Cuny doesn't care about there students one way or another.
Oracle?
February 09, 2008 08:51AM
Nicholas, you do not HAVE to be rude! Please, if there's no room on the train, wait for the next one. It is never necessary to push people in, and, yes, people DO take it personally. It is really o.k. to arrive at your destination five minutes late, and NOT assault others.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 12?
Online Users

Guests: 10