Bin Laden former CIA agent???

Posted by Quist 
Bin Laden former CIA agent???
August 22, 2003 02:54AM
Last week I met someone who told me that Usama Bin Laden had worked for the USA as an special agent serving the CIA. Is this true? Please tell me and give me some adresses on the web involving this question.

greetings from amsterdam
Red
Re: Bin Laden former CIA agent???
August 22, 2003 07:52AM
No, but like many conspiracy theories, there's a grain of truth in there somewhere.

During the 1980s, the US provided weapons, training and materiel to any and all insurgents who were fighting the Russian occupation of Afghanistan, as part of the Cold War. Osama Bin Laden was one of those men, so his group received the same support that other anti-Russian organizations did. The break between bin Laden and the US came in 1990. See:

[news.bbc.co.uk]
[www.snopes.com]

There's a big difference between being one of a crowd of insurgents trained in part by the CIA and being a "CIA agent." At that time, the CIA was training anti-communist rebel forces all over the world, from Nicaragua to Cuba to Angola. The members of these rebel forces, much like Osama bin Laden, would probably be quite offended to be seen as CIA "agents."
Mark
Re: Bin Laden former CIA agent???
August 24, 2003 01:48AM
asia times online
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 15?
Online Users

Guests: 17