baby seats in taxis

Posted by jwroman 
baby seats in taxis
August 20, 2012 06:00AM
We're about to have our first child and live in Astoria. We were wondering how New Yorkers get around in taxis with their babies? We can strap in an infant car seat pretty easily until around 6 months, but after that, what do people do (legally)? My wife might need to grab a taxi and head to the doctor's office while I'm at work.

Thanks very much!
Re: baby seats in taxis
August 20, 2012 06:57PM
According to the NYC taxi & limousine commission you do not legally need to put your baby in a car seat. (see excerpt below). Since cab rides are usually relatively short, most New York parents don't use car seats. If the ride is over 10 minutes I would consider strapping in a seat.
Hope this helps!
Addie
"Drivers of yellow medallion taxicabs and for-hire vehicles and their passengers, are exempt from laws regarding car seats and seatbelts. Keep in mind, the TLC encourages everyone in the vehicle to buckle their seatbelts while riding in a cab. There are no Taxi and Limousine Commission rules regarding this, as it is a State exemption. Passengers with children are encouraged to bring their own car seats, which the drivers must allow passengers to install."
*NOTE - Children under the age of seven are permitted to sit on an adult's lap.

Thank you Addie
[askanewyorker.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 06:59PM by askanewyorker.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 25 plus 2?
Online Users

Guests: 13