Category Killer Shopping in New York

Posted by Mark 
Category Killer Shopping in New York
June 05, 2012 09:12AM
Hi Folks smiling smiley

I'm from overseas and am comming to New York for a few months and am going on one big shopping spree for homewares and Hardware... Oh and new clothes too! Sounds like fun!

I'll be near 79th Street down the West end.

However when I look up Walmart - presumed by us foreigners like me - to be the holy grail of cheap but good shopping I find there isn't one on Manhattan.
WOE!

So I was wondering if I could have the savvy NY bargain shoppers idea of paradise

Talking mans clothes... I don't look good in a dress. Homewares like sheets, pillows , cutlery, kitchen stuff; Hardware like drills, tools, boy stuff.

Thanks for your help!

Mark
Re: Category Killer Shopping in New York
June 05, 2012 04:02PM
Thankfully we don't have a Walmart in New York. We do have Target and Kmart. Also Home Depot and the wholesale mecca, Costco (my personal favorite, though they do require a membership fee).

Have you considered how you're going to ship everything home? Customs duties are very expensive, so is shipping!

Also, I don't understand your address. What does "down the west end" mean? Do you mean 79th Street and West End Avenue?

(And how do you know you don't look good in a dress? You never know until you've tried!)
June 05, 2012 07:39PM
Thanks for the reply smiling smiley

I don't particularly want to advertise it.... but whats at the west end of 79th Street?

So my time in the USA, and particularly New York I can replace and upgrade a lot of stuff.

Yes, I agree that a normal tourist ain't gunna be shopping in the same places, nor for the same things.

Thanks for the tips on places. Costco membership is $55! Their prices must be good.

Mark
on the upper west side there is laytner's for housewares, good stuff pretty cheap.
2270 Broadway
(between 81st St & 82nd St)

(212) 724-0180
[www.laytners.com]
June 14, 2012 09:43PM
Oh! Thanks for that!

Their stuff sounds great. Its the feel test of the towels (etc) thats so important so I will go there and see how they are. Somuch better than buying off the internet smiling smiley

Every sheet needs replacing (OK today when I pulled them out in the coin-op laundry I nearly died... mine really need the trash can!

Marksmiling smiley
PS I am in NY next week, late, with a bit of luck. smiling smiley
June 17, 2012 12:04PM
J. Crew sample sale, yippee!
June 19 -24, 2012
10am to 8pm
260 fifth ave between 28/29 St.
June 22, 2012 03:43PM
Arrived yesterday and did a big go-slow around the Statue of Liberty smiling smiley

Bought my first thing this morning: a bicycle! So now I can get around.

The j.crew sale sounds good....though their men's shorts are all sooooo long they come down to the knees... I'd look like some urban kid.

Heading to the big store too to find some budget stuff... I need a whole wardrobe of clothes....

Mark
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 5 plus 21?
Online Users

Guests: 25