Stewart tech, brooklyn

Posted by gordon smith 
Stewart tech, brooklyn
April 28, 2011 06:27AM
Hi Bruce, My deceased uncle was a B17 mechanic during ww2. He spoke of going to stewart tech for aviation mechanics. I know he was living on division ave. in williamsburg before the war and had to report to chanute field in illinois before leaving for europe. have you ever heard of stewart tech? I was born in 1953, so this is all things I heard when I was pretty young. thanks for your help. Gordon.
Re: Stewart tech, brooklyn
May 16, 2011 06:17AM
Never heard of Stewart Tech but there is an Aviation High School in Long Island City

[www.aviationhs.net]

History:
[www.aviationhs.net]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2011 06:29AM by askanewyorker.
May 28, 2011 06:53AM
Hi Gordon
I am not sure, but maybe it was Stewart's Air force Base. Do you recall if your uncle mentioned that the military sent him outside of NYC to study aviation mechanics? I do not know of Stewart Tech, but training was done at Stewart's Air force base, which is a little north of the city. Just a possibility smiling smiley
March 27, 2012 04:56PM
My Dad graduated from Stewart Tech in 1939 or 1940. In those days they issued an "A&E"...Aircraft & Engine licence. He says it was located on 65th between 1st and 2nd in Mahattan. With the A&E he was hired on the spot when he interviewed with Pan AM. He worked on the flying boats at LGA and went on to have a 45 year carear with Pan AM.
We actually have a Stewart Tech Lapel Pin!
My Dad is alive and well at 91 years old...perhaps he knew your uncle.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 12 plus 7?
Online Users

Guests: 8