Broadway tickets -- brokers?

Posted by Colleen 
Broadway tickets -- brokers?
February 23, 2007 03:25PM
Hi,

I searched the forum, but couldn't find any specifics about purchasing Broadway tickets through a ticket broker.

Is purchasing tickets through a broker reliable? I'd be travelling to NYC to see the show -- if I go through a broker and I guaranteed to get the tickets?

Thank you.
Re: Broadway tickets -- brokers?
February 23, 2007 05:55PM
I ordered my discount tickets through www.broadwaybox.com which is very reliable.
February 23, 2007 06:44PM
If you're looking for discount tickets, Broadwaybox is your best bet. (TKTS is another good option, but they're same-day only, so nothing is guaranteed). If you want to see something without a discount, use www.ticketmaster.com or www.telecharge.com, or just call the theatre box office directly.
Oracle?
February 23, 2007 07:08PM
First, you can't call any box office directly. The only numbers you'll find listed are for the exclusive ticket agency that each show uses. Most often that's Ticketron or Telecharge. If you go to playbill.com and click on the link (on the left) for Broadway, you'll get a list of all the shows. Then click on the show's title for info on that show, including the ticket agent's name, phone number and web address.

Before you buy full-price tickets, check to see if there are any applicable discounts on broadwaybox.com. (There are other sites that offer discounts, like playbill.com, but broadwaybox.com includes all the current codes.) Please note that when you use broadwaybox, you are not buying the tickets from them... you are using a code and then contacting the show's agent.

Broadwaybox.com also offers links for premium tickets. I don't know about you, but I would'nt pay those stupid prices for ANYTHING!!!

If no tickets are available for a show that you have your heart set on seeing, you might try broadway.com, which charges a premium but not as much as what others get for "premium" tickets. You can also try stubhub, or even sometimes ebay. Just be aware that you're buying from an individual, who may or may not be honest.

Many big hotels have theater desks, which also charge a premium.

Then there's the TKTS discount booths that sell cash-only, same day tickets at either 50% or 25% off, plus a service fee. You can end up waiting on a long line though, with no guarantee of what shows will be available, and the seats (which you cannot choose) are usually not good at all. (The downtown TKTS booth, at the South St. Seaport, allows you to buy matinee tickets the day before.) For an idea of what shows were available the prior week, look on their web site, tdf.org

For other ticket options, including Rush, Lotteries and SRO, take a look at the playbill.com home page. There's a link on the lower right to an article describing other ways to get tickets.
February 25, 2007 09:39AM
I purchased my tickets from Ticketmaster.com, the show is in May and I received the tickets in the mail last week, about 2 weeks after I had purchased them online.

--deanne
February 25, 2007 10:03AM
To follow up on Oracle's post.

Tickets for Broadway shows are sold by either Telecharge or Ticketmaster.
Which sells which depends on the theater the show is in. They are legitimate.

When people talk about "brokers", they are talking about the ticket scalpers. For some of the most popular shows like Wicked and Jersey Boys, tickets from scalpers seem to be the only way to get tickets especially when you have a specific date in mind. They essentially buy up all the tickets so average folks are forced to pay their outrageous prices.

When you buy tickets through Broadwaybox.com, be careful. They redirect you to the actual seller whether it is Telecharge, Ticketmaster, or a scalper. Broadwaybox.com takes a cut of everything.

+
+
+
+
stay in NJ to visit NYC --> [www.broadwayfocus.com]
Oracle?
February 25, 2007 04:50PM
Brokers and scapers are not the same! Brokers charge a legal fee. Scalpers charge over and above what's allowed by law. Legitimate ticket brokers are listed in the phone book and operate under regulations. Interestingly, the laws in NJ allow them to charge more than they could in NY, so most all ticket brokers are located there. When you see a 212 phone number, it links to an office in NJ! Scalpers operate "under the radar." Though with many producers now selling "premium" seats at stupid prices, it's hard to tell the difference.

And broadwaybox.com doesn't take a cut of anything. I've used them many times over the years, and the only fee goes to the ticket agent, not broadwaybox.
February 25, 2007 09:04PM
Legal fee? Same difference to me. If they just left the tickets along then regular folks could buy them at regular prices WITHOUT ANY FEES.

As for premium pricing. The money goes to the owners the producers of the show. They have every right to sell a product at whatever price they choose. Ticket scalpers are a different animal. They profit from someone else's work.

You betcha Broadwaybox.com takes a cut.
It is in the referral id in all of their links. You obviously haven't worked on websites. I have.

notice all the fancy numbers in the link below
and the words CAMEFROM
broadwaybox.com/redirectlinks.aspx?did=9880&agent=2&hyperlink=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ticketmaster.com%2fcgi%2foutsider.plx%3fCAMEFROM%3dDisney_bbox%26GOTO%3dhttp%3a%2f%2fwww.ticketmaster.com%2fartist%2f878565

Sometimes it is done with cookies. Welcome to the world of internet commerce.

When you click on a link to buy a CD from Amazon.com through a performer's website, if they set it up, they get a cut when you buy that CD. Amazon.com records it. I know. I have done it myself for a website.

+
+
+
+
stay in NJ to visit NYC --> [www.broadwayfocus.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2007 09:07PM by ieee488.
Oracle?
February 26, 2007 09:03PM
It's a brand new world! I guess what I meant was that the buyer doesn't pay any fee to broadwaybox. If they get a cut from telecharge or ticketron, it doesn't affect what the buyer pays.
Hi

You can find this info by using search box in the top of website with some keywords related before posting questions.
If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Ticket broker tips

Best regards.
January 26, 2012 02:54AM
[www.theatermania.com] This is one of the oldest site for getting broadway tickets.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 12?
Online Users

Guests: 4