Christmas in New York

Posted by Chris 
Christmas in New York
September 11, 2008 11:50AM
What are the gotta do's between x-mas and New Year's with kids?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2009 05:07PM by askanewyorker.
Christmas in New York
September 11, 2008 12:05PM
FAO Schwartz

[www.askanewyorker.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2009 07:30AM by askanewyorker.
Re: New York at Christmas
September 11, 2008 12:18PM
November 10, 2008 06:58AM
All along Queens Blvd Christmas/Holiday Decorations have been put up and the city is looking amazing toothumbs up

confused smiley
[news.sbs.com.au]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2009 05:52AM by askanewyorker.
November 10, 2008 11:36AM
It depends on the age of the children - but here are some ideas:
The Big Apple Circus, which runs in the plaza at Lincoln Center. An old fashioned circus in a tent - closer to the performers. Hokey and fun
Windows to view: - Barneys, Lord and Taylor, Saks, Bloomies, Bergdorfs
Skating - the rink at Bryant Park is better than the Rock Center one.
But go up to the Top of the Rock for a better view than the empire state.
The antique Neopolitan Xmas tree at the Met Museum
A horse ride in the park
The Nutcracker at Lincoln Center
Origami xmas tree at the Museum of Nat History

or drive to Dyker Heights in Brooklyn to see the goodfellas xmas lights - tacky and weird and over the top.

[WeddingsofNewYork.com]
[elopenewyork.com]
November 10, 2008 06:04PM
I was hoping to recommend Second Childhood a fabulous toy store we found on Bleecker Street last year. Was sad to find this on a blog sad smiley

[vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com]
November 14, 2008 02:39AM
Do not forget the ultimate ultimate sight, the train show at the Bronx botanical gardens. [www.nybg.org]

We've gone for three years and it always is the best trip of the season.
November 14, 2008 08:13AM
The New Victory Theatre on 42nd Street has a great kids show on from Dec 19 to Jan 4, have a look at their website newvictory.org
November 24, 2008 02:17PM
Please don't go on a Horse Ride in the park. I'm NOT a member PETA and I do eat meat, but after seeing the way that these animals are treated by their owners who are merely using these animals to make a buck, and some of the looks in these horses' eyes... Just think twice about it.

April 06, 2009 06:25AM
Christmas in NYC
Posted by: Penny (C-59-101-110-148.syd.connect.net.au)
Date: April 05, 2009 11:45PM

Hello, We are visintg NCY this Christmas and would like to know two things. Where could we have lunch or breakfast on Christmas Day? Somewhere around times square area. Secondly, can anyone tell us how to arrange to volunteer to serve christmas meals at a soup kitchen and if you know of a specific one nearby Times Square? Thanks.
April 06, 2009 09:38PM
Hi Penny. I used to work in a big volunteer center - and we always got asked where to serve xmas and thanksgiving dinner. Actually - many agencies have the most volunteers on these days of the whole year -- they wish people would volunteer on OTHER days, but understand the wish to help. You can call 311 closer to the date, and ask where to help. The city website (nyc.gov) has a big list of places to volunteer. You can check the website of nycares.org. You can call the local church headquarters for various denominations, ditto temples, etc. Call the United Way. The big places (Bowery Mission) have 'celebrity' volunteers - but you can find local agencies closer to the holidays - though many agencies will be in Harlem, Brooklyn and the Bronx, where the need is. As for Xmas Day - unlike many cities, most restaurants in NY will be open -- and service a special menu for people like you. (or they'll have a sign up earlier in the week telling you they'll be closed). IN this economy - I bet they'll be open.

[WeddingsofNewYork.com]
[elopenewyork.com]
April 14, 2009 09:39AM
Hi there

I was wondering if anyone knows when th Christmas lights are being switched on this year (2009) in New York. I am from ireland and going to NY as part of my honeymoon in Nov and was wondering if there is an official date for the lights to be switched on.

Thanks

Natalia
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 16?
Online Users

Guests: 3