Staying in Harlem

Posted by Jared 
Staying in Harlem
March 21, 2007 05:05AM
Hi

We are coming to NY for New Years and have found a great looking apartment on 116th and Lenox Ave. The agent assures us the area is safe, but when youre not from the US, all you hear are bad things about Harlem!

Currently live in London (England) so if its just the normal city precautions thats fine, just want to confirm we arent being led in to a crime ridden area where the streets arent safe to walk at night back from a subway. There are 8 of us staying at the apartment so it wont be a case of being by ourselves at night either.

Anyhow, any advice/comments would be much appreiated.

Cheers
J
Krissi
Re: Staying in Harlem
March 21, 2007 01:05PM
That neighborhood can get pretty busy later in the evening, so just keep your money in a safe place during those times. During the day, it is quite safe. There's also a lot of good food and the area has pretty good subway access.

Some good places to go in the area (for a Harlem experience) are:

Lenox Lounge (legendary jazz club) 125th and Lenox Ave
Sylvia's Soul Food at Lenox Ave and 127th Street (considered the best probably in the country)
The Den (one of my fave bars/lounges) 2150 5th Ave b/w 131 and 132nd (www.thedenharlem.com)

Check out Wikipedia.com for more info on places to go around there. Also, you are new Central Park North which is very pretty and Morningside Park. Also, you can walk to Columbia University very easilly for easy access to everything around there.

Good luck and have fun!
March 31, 2011 04:33PM
Hi,

I'm staying in the following area in HARLEM and I must say after reading all the various posts on staying in Harlem I am a little concerned. Can anyone advise me please. I'm from the UK and this is my 2nd time to NYC. I came around 3 years ago and was very lucky in my choice of hotel!! The Pod!!! However, prices are so high now compared to my last trip hence putting The Pod Hotel out of my budget!!

I'm staying in the following area:

124 E. 117th St

Any advice?

Many thanks
M
October 20, 2011 07:46AM
Hi Clare,

I will be staying at 124E 117 st. How was your experience? I am concerned after hearing so many stories abt Harlem.

Any advice? smiling smiley
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 4?
Online Users

Guests: 5