New York with Teenagers

Posted by Lea 
Lea
New York with Teenagers
September 10, 2008 04:21AM
Hi! I'm from Switzerland. Our kids are 15 (girl) and 17 (boy) years old . Their greatest wish is a trip to New York and spend some time there.
My husband and I spent our honeymoon there many years ago. We just loved it so much. Now my question is: What would you suggest would be the best to do with Teenagers in New York. For example, Hotel, Shops, sightseeing....
Maybe you have some ideas for us so we could plan this trip.
Thanks in advance and best regards from Switzerland!
Oracle?
Re: New York with Teenagers
September 10, 2008 10:42AM
What time of year are you considering? And what kinds of things do your kids enjoy doing? Are they "grown up" enough to spend time on their own?
Lea
September 10, 2008 11:05AM
Thanks for your answer. We're not really sure, what time of the year. We didn't fix a date yet. Maybe X-mas time or Spring. I've heard Spring in New York is awesome! I don't think they want to spend time on their own. Our son loves to play the guitar and plays in a band (metal band), our daughter loves clothes, make-up, hip hop, jewelry etc.
My husband and I just love walking at the central park, enjoying American Breakfast, shopping, Musicals, food.....
Oracle?
September 10, 2008 12:38PM
Christmas is spectacular here, but extremely expensive. Also, it gets dark so early here in the winter. Personally, I think the best time is mid July, even though it can be hot. The days are long and there are lots of (mostly free) outdoor events -- concerts, plays, even free outdoor movies.
Lea
September 11, 2008 01:04AM
Usually we spend our summertime in Italy. Let's say we plan to fly over in April. Since our kids are the time in N.Y. we don't look too much how expensive it is. We're not rich but we can afford a little bit more at this time.
It's so special so that we want to go to the right places, even if it's expensive. Now do you have any ideas? Or should I better get a New York book with tips in it?
September 12, 2008 04:55PM
For shopping I would definitely go on 5th Ave as they generally have everything and anything. Your best bet is to browse around and find little boutiques. Although thefashionspot.com has great advice on where to shop in NYC.

For casual food I love Serendipity, the Creperie, Burgers & Cupcakes. Definitely try Carmines, try and go before a broadway show.

See a broadway show if you haven't already, Phantom Of the Opera is a classic, Little Mermaid is adorable and the singing is beautiful, Hairspray is funky and tons of ton.
September 13, 2008 02:04AM
If you go to Carmines you need to book ahead.
September 12, 2011 09:39AM
I think Ellis Island is a good idea for teenagers...not so much little kids, but I think teens could find it interesting. I was just there yesterday and you can do this museum relatively quickly with the audio tour, in about an hour. It's pretty interesting. I think a lot of people skip this - when they do the cruise to liberty island, they just skip ellis island and go back to battery park, but it's a good museum definately worth a visit.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 16 plus 12?
Online Users

Guests: 13