stereotyping a new yorker

Posted by steven 
stereotyping a new yorker
September 18, 2006 01:02PM
I have a co-worker who is from New York and just got promoted out of the mid-west back to New york. We are a having a roast for him at work and I was hoping you can help me come up with a list of what describes a new yorkers attitude, character, stereotype....etc. Can you help?
Red
Re: stereotyping a new yorker
September 18, 2006 01:34PM
Completely blunt. Always says what he thinks, good or bad, without consideration for tact.

Impatient. Way too busy. Talks fast, walks fast, overstressed. Walks so much faster than Midwesterners that after a few hundred feet he's way ahead of the pack and doesn't realize he's left people behind.

Intolerant of people he sees as "slow" or "lazy."

Walks everywhere, including distances that people from other places think are silly.

Does not acknowledge that most other American cities are "cities." Thinks they're small towns surrounded by farmland. Imagines that, say, the entire state of Nebraska is pretty much all open rangeland.

Is some combination of Irish, Italian, Chinese, Puerto Rican, and Jewish. (This is an old stereotype from the mid 20th century.) Moishe Chan O'Reilly Sorrentino. Religiously, Catholic (75%) or Jewish (25%) - certainly not Protestant.

September 18, 2006 04:38PM
Red,
You rock. So glad your back.
September 19, 2006 04:14PM
I go through Nebraska when driving to Michigan, not to far off on that rangeland comment in my opinion.

Hmmm fast walk, is that why I feel so at home there? My husband says I have a "bus stop walk". Meaning I walk like I am going to catch one. Fast walkers live 3 times longer!!!! Yeah! As long as I am still walking that's a yeah smiling smiley
September 19, 2006 05:04PM
[www.askanewyorker.com]
have a look at that link
February 26, 2008 08:46PM
Im just putting this in perspective for some people. And Im not trying to bash anyone, Im just making people see where we are coming from. (This is from Red's post):

Red said: "Completely blunt. Always says what he thinks, good or bad, without consideration for tact."

I say: yeah, but at least we dont kiss ass. (and yeah, i know i just proved his point.)

Red said: "Impatient. Way too busy. Talks fast, walks fast, overstressed. Walks so much faster than Midwesterners that after a few hundred feet he's way ahead of the pack and doesn't realize he's left people behind."

I say: If you've ever been in new york city, you know that people walk everywhere. There are also thousands upon thousands of tourists walking around, looking around and doing tourist-y things. and trying to get to work on time while maneuvering through the crowds, in a business suit, and walking at least 20 blocks in the morning is not my idea of fun. imagine doing this 365 days a year for your entire life.

Red said: "Intolerant of people he sees as 'slow' or 'lazy.'"

I say: Isnt that the reason its called the city that never sleeps. its an industry, so expect some people to be like that.

Red says: "Walks everywhere, including distances that people from other places think are silly."

I say: uhh... try taking a taxi when you're on a tight schedule.

Red said: "Does not acknowledge that most other American cities are "cities." Thinks they're small towns surrounded by farmland. Imagines that, say, the entire state of Nebraska is pretty much all open rangeland."

i say: 100% not true! thats all i have to say to that.

Red said: "Is some combination of Irish, Italian, Chinese, Puerto Rican, and Jewish. (This is an old stereotype from the mid 20th century.) Moishe Chan O'Reilly Sorrentino. Religiously, Catholic (75%) or Jewish (25%) - certainly not Protestant."

I say: well, it kinda makes sense because most immagrants come through Ellis Island (which is in the bay).

again, im not trying to bash ANYONE. i find most of these things completely true and many very funny. im just saying "now look at it this way and you'll see where we're coming from."

now to the topic. just wondering... where in ny? cuz it makes all the difference.

here's some that apply to ALL new yorkers.

- we tend to be very possesive. (probably because we have tourists invading our homes 24/7)
- we tend to be blunt and and in your face about things.
- we tend to complain and look for the bad in things.
- we have a lot of pride.
- we have high taxes.
Red Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Completely blunt. Always says what he thinks, good
> or bad, without consideration for tact.
>
> Impatient. Way too busy. Talks fast, walks fast,
> overstressed. Walks so much faster than
> Midwesterners that after a few hundred feet he's
> way ahead of the pack and doesn't realize he's
> left people behind.
>
> Intolerant of people he sees as "slow" or "lazy."
>
> Walks everywhere, including distances that people
> from other places think are silly.
>

Red...even though I'm a Brit you've described me to a T!! (Just ask Mell!) Maybe I should have been a New Yorker!
March 09, 2008 11:00AM
Yes ES I'll go along with that!

Blunt, impatient, walks fast!!

Everywhere we go we walk MILES from morning til night with hardly a break. And that's in this country. We go at double the pace in NY. You'd think I'd have thin legs by now...but oh no!

BUT....the good news is that we will be back in November, can't wait!
November 17, 2008 09:58AM
July 12, 2011 01:56AM
You know what I hate the most is when people talk about New York people instantly think NYC or Brooklyn or Long Island or something like that no one ever thinks of Buffalo! Were a city too just not very famous. But I have been to NYC and some of those stereotypes arent true yeah it may be loud and crowded but not all New Yorks are heartless. Sooooo yep. All I got to say!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 22 plus 3?
Online Users

Guests: 25