Apartments - Upper East or Upper West side?

Posted by PS 
Hi - I'm an Aussie preparing to move to NYC to live for a year. I'm fortunate enough to have been offered a choice of apartments by my work, but am unsure which to take (I know, first world problem...!)

I've visited NYC before so have a general idea of where things are, but that's quite different from choosing where to set up camp for a year or more. I need to choose between the Upper East Side (63rd near 2nd) and the Upper West side (86th near Amsterdam).

Both apartments are fairly comparable so really hoping for some insights on the neighbourhoods to make the decision. Any advice would be great! Thanks New Yorkers!
Check the Subway map carefully. These two locations can't both be "near" work. It is kind of difficult to travel East/West in this area of Manhattan. Pick the side of Central Park your office is located. There is major construction of the Second Avenue Subway at and above 63rd St. I would avoid that area. Other than that, the neighborhoods are similar.
The crosstown bus on 86 St. makes the crosstown issue go away. The real potential issue is the 2nd Ave. subway construction. They've been moving along pretty well, but they're still well morth of 63 St. Try to find out if the construction schedule puts them anywhere close to 63 St. during the time when you'd be there. If so, go UWS.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 1 plus 1?
Online Users

Guests: 10