Woodside, Queens

Posted by Jay 
Jay
Woodside, Queens
September 17, 2005 07:26AM
Would you think Woodside, Queens is a good place to live? Affordable? Safe? Convenient (to subways,not TOO far out)?
What about Sunnyside?
Anyone have any experience with either area?
Re: Woodside, Queens
September 17, 2005 10:33AM
Woodside is a very interesting place...big mix of Irish and Hispanic immigrants. My friend has a good size 1 bdrm that costs him $1100 per month. He is just a few blocks from the 7 train and the LIRR. The commute to midtown Manhattan is pretty quick, I would say no more than 15 mins. There are many great Irish Pubs, a few decent restaurants (try Donovan's for burgers Yum!) and your basic grocery and drug stores. It is a bit on the gritty side. I would say if you are looking for a lot of young, white professionals that this is not the place for you. Sunnyside is fairly similar just a bit closer to the city.
September 18, 2005 10:14PM
I don't know much about Woodside. However I do live in Sunnyside. My rent is extremely cheap comparitively. I feel very safe here. It is a very diverse, family neighborhood. i.e. on the weekends the streets are alive with people sitting on the stoops of their aparment buildings and kids playing on the sidewalk, tree-lined streets. etc.. No real sense of community, but I'm from the South so I may be a bit biased.

As far as Queens and Brooklyn are concerned, Sunnyside is a very close commute. It takes me about 25-35 minutes to midtown, depending no how fast I walk, and my luck with street lights and trains.

Good luck, I have also heard good things about Jackson Heights.
Greg S
March 17, 2011 11:14PM
I grew up in Woodside for most of my life. Now that im going to college im probably going to live in an apartment there because I know how reasonable the rent is. The commute isn't bad, you just go to the subway on Roosevelt Ave (well from where I used o live). It's a 15-20min walk depending on how fast you walk. Its fairly safe, just be careful a night. A lot of places in Woodside are sketchy at night especially the parks. Just walk in well lighted areas and you should be fine. Hope this helps
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 17?
Online Users

Guests: 8