City hall marriage

Posted by Denmike 
City hall marriage
February 14, 2010 07:49AM
Hi,

We are a couple from Denmark, Europe coming to NYC in March. We want to get married at city hall during our visit.

Our problem is that we need at witness for the ceremony, and it will only be the two of us coming to the states.

What is the best way to find a person who can help us and be our witness?

Michael
Oracle?
Re: City hall marriage
February 14, 2010 08:57AM
You can ask anyone else waiting on line. The officials at the Marriage Bureau (not at City Hall) won't serve as witnesses, but there are plenty of other wedding parties and it's quite common to witness each other.

Congratulations!
February 16, 2010 05:36AM
Oracle is right. I got married at city hall-brooklyn, and you can just ask any person standing around to be the witness. You will need them for about one minute, to sign their name on a paper that they are your witness. It's not a big deal.
congratulations.
February 16, 2010 06:23AM
Hi Couple from Denmark,
I'm Kennedy and I run Ask a New Yorker. If your interested I could be your witness and video the wedding moment....
kennedy@askanewyorker.com
February 19, 2011 12:36PM
Hi,

My partner and I are both UK citizens and hoping to come to New York around this time next year to get married.

We were looking at going to City Hall Municipal Buildings but have a few questions regarding the ID needed - I can't get my head around it! The City Clerks website simply says a passport is needed, but other posts on this website state that a proof of address is also needed? As we are both from the UK, what proof of address would be accepted? I do not own a drivers licence so all I have is utility bills etc - are these OK, or will I be unable to marry in New York with these as proof of ID?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm getting a bit stressed out about it!

Thanks,

Emma
February 19, 2011 10:57PM
Just to clarify:

New York City is one city made up of five boroughs. There’s only one City Hall for the whole city and it’s located in Manhattan in City Hall Park at Broadway and Park Place. Manhattan’s main government building is the Manhattan Municipal Building at 1 Center St. That’s where you can get married in Manhattan.

Each of the other boroughs: Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and the Bronx have their own Borough Hall’s and/or Municipal Buildings where you can get married.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 9?
Online Users

Guests: 13