Mama Leone's Slogan

Posted by Joanna Rosenblum 
Mama Leone's Slogan
January 05, 2011 09:22PM
Does anyone remember the slogan on the side of the building that housed Mama Leone's Restaurant? My husband, who grew up in New York, is straining his brain to remember it and he's driving us all crazy! Thanks for your help!
Re: Mama Leone's Slogan
January 06, 2011 06:23AM
Joanna,
I've reached out to Mr. Bruno...hopefully we will end this mayhem in your home soon.smiling smiley

Re: mamma leone's
Posted by: wbruno (68-191-53-245.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: April 07, 2007 03:38PM

It is interesting for me to read all the thoughts about Mamma Leone's posted above. I have a close connection to this resturant. My father Alfredo Bruno was the Manager for over thirty years. We went there many times as children and later in life, my brothers and I would take our friends for a free meal, and I even took my future wife there on several occasions. Some of my memories are not of the quality of the food, but the overall experience. I have read some people describe it as a sort of Disney World. I can remember the yearly Carnivale celebration they held for the four weeks prior to the start of lent. For those four weeks they would have all sorts of entertainers roaming around including opera singers, jugglers, magicians and musicians. Everything was decorated as if you were in the middle of a circus. I also remember that during these times I would rarely see my father. He would leave for work at 10 AM and not return home until 2 or 3 am in the morning. He always gave me statistics as to how many people were served, and I was amazed. They would serve 3,000 to 4,000 dinners on any Friday or Saturday night. So even though the food was not great this was a pretty amazing achievment. My fathers told me many stories of the celeberties he met and would bring home autographs of some of my favorite sport figures. He would also tell me stories about some of the staff he had to fire, and how in one case the person chased him home, firing a gun at him as he drove along the West Side highway. In the early 90's the resturant moved from it's original location on 48th street and Broadway to the first floor of the Milford Plaza hotel. Once it moved there the size of the resturant was significantly reduced and a lot of the old charm of the original location disappeared. My father retired in 1993 and a little more than a year later the resturant closed its doors. I like to tell people that once my dad left the resturant was doomed. I guess the most important thing I remember about Mamma Leone's is the amount of time my father dedicated to working there. Since the hours required for running a resturant of this size were extreme, I only got to see my father for about 30 minutes in the morning when he would wake up to see me and my brothers off to school and the one day off he took weekly, which was Thursday. Anyway instead of me making this post a therapy session, I have enjoyed reading all of everyone's memories (good and bad), and please try to remember Mamma Leone's was not a resturant but an experience.
Re: Mama Leone's Slogan
January 12, 2011 05:34AM
No problem. I have gone through pictures of the outside with my Dad, and there was no slogan. Was it at the original location on 48th st or when they moved to the the Milford Plaza Hotel. We do not have a picture of the building from the parking lot side of the 48th street, however my Dad does not recall a slogan there, and he parked there every day. Sorry I could not help.

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Kennedy Moore <kmoore_11211@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello Walter and Happy New Year,
Hope it's ok to reach out to you.
You posted a great piece of history on the site regarding your father and Mama
Leones. So I thought you may find the following question of interest. Any help
would be appreciated.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 14 plus 11?
Online Users

Guests: 22