visiting in March

Posted by Wayne Bellamy 
visiting in March
January 06, 2011 10:20AM
I am visiting New York in March to celebrate my wifes b'day (a special one!)
Its our first time there and want to do something special and romantic but not overpriced. Could you give me some suggestions?
Secondly, I fancy going to the Islanders v Rangers game on the 31st. What is the best way to get to the game from Times Square?
I look forward to your replies
Oracle?
Re: visiting in March
January 06, 2011 10:50AM
I have never gone to Nassau Coliseum via public transport, only by car. So I don't actually know how difficult it is to get there without a car, but I know you need to take the Long Island Rail Road and then get a bus, and I'm pretty sure it involves crossing a major highway. You might be able to get a taxi from the train station, but then how would you get back there? Hopefully someone with firsthand experience can help you decide whether or not it's worth the hassle. Or perhaps someone can recommend a local car service you can book in advance between the train station and the arena.

I'm not sure what you're looking for that's "special and romantic"-- are you looking for a restaurant, or entertainment/concert?
January 06, 2011 11:26AM
Everything I do with my husband when we visit NYC is romantic.

I would upgrade your neighborhood. Times Square is so boring. Really you only need to see it once and an hour there is more than enough time. The Upper East Side has plenty of hotels and it is so romantic to walk in a real neighborhood and feel like you are part of the city. It is also the neighborhood used in the movie You Got Mail. The subway is easy, there are wonderful shops and restaurants, Central Park is right there ( very romantic) as is Riverside Park.

Off the top of my head I think of Courtyard Marriott, The Lucerne, and The Affina. Oracle can give a better insight into that as she is there. Remember to look at reviews and photos from guests on www.tripadvisor.com

This site is a great place to plan your trip! Enjoy!!
January 06, 2011 11:53AM
Thankyou for your speedy reply. You appear to be confirming what I thought about getting to the Collesium..............a bit of a hassle! Thats unfortunate.
Re the something romantic I was thinking meal.
January 06, 2011 12:00PM
Dear Salsa
Thankyou for your speedy reply amd take on board your recommendations.
I will adopt your saying and whatever my wife and I do and where we stay in NY will be romantic.

Thankyou and I'm sure we will enjoy.
Oracle?
January 06, 2011 12:35PM
Most first-time visitors think Times Square is the where they need to be. That's why those hotels are popular, and also expensive. If you're already committed to your hotel, that's fine. If not, post back if you want hotel recommendations.

Meanwhile, I probably sound like a broken record, but my favorite romantic restaurant is The River Cafe. It's not cheap, but it is quite reasonable if you compare it to NYC's top restaurants. It's still going to cost around $200 per person if you include wine, tax and gratuity (price fixed dinner is $100). You can't get more romantic than dinner at The River Cafe and a stroll back across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Another favorite is the tiny, rustic, candlelit Tuscan restaurant on the UES, Erminia. The street is a bit of a mess with the construction of the Second Avenue Subway, but that won't affect dinner in Erminia.

Nearby is the King's Carriage House. I haven't eaten here, but I did wander in to have a look at this cosy, pretty place, and friends say the food is very good too.

Yet another UES restaurant I'd recommend for a romantic dinner is Brasserie Julien. I have to say I don't think their food is anything special, and the service just isn't great, but I'd still recommend it -- the atmosphere is nice and they have free jazz on Friday and Saturday evenings. Actually, it's nice just to go for a drink or glass of wine and enjoy the music too.

How about a romantic lunch? I love the Boathouse Restaurant, overlooking the Lake in Central Park. It's very busy on weekends, during the week it's much better. Even if you don't have lunch, it's a great place to go for a drink while you're exploring the park. They make an excellent Cosmo! They're also open for dinner, but the lake isn't lit at night, so without the view I wouldn't bother.

Giorgio's of Gramercy is another popular neighborhood place known as a romantic setting that's reasonably priced.

Another neighborhood place that's romantic is Caffe Buon Gusto. I wouldn't choose it for a special occasion meal, but the seating is so cramped it could be romantic in an offbeat way. And their Bolognese sauce is fantastic!

[www.rivercafe.com]

[www.kingscarriagehouse.com]

[www.erminiaristorante.com]

[www.brasseriejulien.com]

[www.caffeboungusto.com]

[www.giorgiosofgramercy.com]

[www.thecentralparkboathouse.com]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 15?
Online Users

Guests: 12