1st timers in New York

Posted by Kim Simmons 
1st timers in New York
October 26, 2010 08:12AM
Hello new yorkers!!

Me and my friend are from london and coming to new york in 2 days and could really do with some help on where to go, what to do etc. Pub and bar wise we are not looking for anything posh just places that have good atmoshphere and decent music. We like any kind of music really my favourite being indie/ rock or anything kind of alternative.

Also any good ideas for places to go on halloween this saturday we found a pub crawl that looks good, any other ideas welcome.

We will be getting there around 8pm on thusday night and want to go straight for for a after flght beer, we was thinking of just going to times square to look around and see what catches our eye?

Any suggestions on anything are welcome! thank you!!

Kim x-x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2010 06:57AM by askanewyorker.
Re: 1st timers in new york
October 26, 2010 05:53PM
Hi Kim!

Not from NYC, but love it and looking forward to arriving there in June as a halfway point to see friends from Sunderland.

This website should help you out. Google the bands to see who's music you fancy. Don't be afraid to venture outside of Manhattan. There is a whole wonderful world other than Manhattan in NYC. Williamsburg is just a short train ride away and a very hip and happening place.

Once drink in Times Square is about all you need in TS total in my book. So much more to see and do. You do need to see it at night so that first night may as well be the night to get it over with. Have a blast!
Re: 1st timers in new york
October 26, 2010 09:22PM
The bars around Times Square don't have much atmosphere and are full of tourists. The only one which is one of the originals still left is Jimmy's Corner, it's at 140 W44th Street, between Broadway and 6th Ave. Google it and you will learn more. Another that you may enjoy is the Village Underground on W3rd Street, on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights they have an amazing live band that plays a big range of music. There is also good music on the other nights as well. www.thevillageunderground.com

Halloween is crazy, if you want to go to the parade, it starts in the village on Sunday night and goes up 6th Ave to around 22nd St, get down there early as they close the surrounding streets early and you can't get anywhere near it.
Re: 1st timers in New York
October 28, 2010 09:30AM
If you have the time go to Ellen's Stardust on Broadway between 50th and 51st street.
The athmosphere is just something special with the singing waitors/waitresses. See more here: [www.ellensstardustdiner.com]
I keep coming back every time I visit NYC
Re: 1st timers in New York
October 28, 2010 11:31AM
The first time I went to NY I saw it across the street from some special woodworkers hidden store my brother-in-law took me too. Then I saw it again in Spiderman. Regret not going. It always sounds like a fun place when it's mentioned here in the forum. Come June!!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 13?
Online Users

Guests: 13