Illegal Subletting

Posted by JD 
JD
Illegal Subletting
September 30, 2010 04:04PM
Hi,

Sooo, my brother has asked to "visit" and it appears that it may be permanent. When does a landlord, or better yet, the courts, rule that the excuse of a "visit" is now being viewed as a means to establish residency? Is there a timeline where a visit is no longer considered a visit and is then considered an illegal sublet?

I was told that the period should not exceed the amount of time to make another rental payment, 1 month, and for some weird reason it makes sense, but I don't have a month to month lease and I think that squatters rights are effective after 30 days of residency if the landlord does not provide an objection to the discovery of sublet, I mean "visit".

Thanks
Re: Illegal Subletting
October 01, 2010 07:46AM
You don't provide enough information on the situation. But, if you are living in the apt then its a visit and sublease has nothing to do with it. I believe by law a family member can live with a renter without any trouble from the landlord. Additionally, in NYC you can have a "domestic partner" i.e. non-relative of either sex, join you. (Although perhaps not at the same time as family member if the apt is small!)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 6?
Online Users

Guests: 7