how safe is it around nostrand ave/macdonough street?

Posted by marina 
hey!
my friends and I are planning to rent a flat for 10 weeks on that corner.... it's in stuyvesant heights (11233).
how safe is it for three white females in their early 20ies?
thanks for your answers!

grinning smiley
I don't know much about that neighborhood, except that it's inconvenient for sightseeing and not a place I would want to stay in. But please be aware that many holiday rentals are outright scams, and don't even exist. Or, someone is illegally renting their apt. without the landlord's permission, which will get you thrown out onto the street with no way to get your money back. Don't wire money in advance!

If you can't afford a proper hotel, stay in a hostel. The big Hostelling International building on the UWS is good, as is the Big Apple Hostel in midtown, or the Vanderbilt YMCA or Westside YMCA.
I can't find Macdonough St. on a map. Are you sure that's the right spelling? What is the exact address you were given? And what web site did you find it on?
hey!
the address is the following: (as i'm not native speaker i tend to do some spelling mistakes)

New York - Brooklyn - Stuyvesant Heights - 11233
Nostrand Avenue
Macdonough Street

we found it through an agency which is called urban living international. this is their website:

[www.nycityapartment.com]

thank your for your answers!
That web site has SCAM written all over it!!! First, it isn't even based here. We don't use square metres, we measure in feet. And the phone numbers aren't land lines, so these people could be based anywhere in the world. My guess is that they're in Eastern Europe somewhere. I can't find any street in Brooklyn named Macdonough -- I searched the entire length of Nostrand Ave. and it just isn't there. I bet if you send them money, you'll never see it again.

Even if those apts. existed, it would be illegal for them to rent them out to tourists. Our laws are strict here in order to protect New Yorkers from being gouged by unscrupulous landlords.

Seriously, be careful. I've given you some ideas for reputable hostels. You should look into staying at one of those.
There is a MacDonough St., but it doesn't intersect with Nostrand Ave. It ends about a block east of the Nostrand Ave. subway station.

However, the existence of the street doesn't change the advice already given. This is a bad idea.
Re: how safe is it around nostrand ave/macdonough street?
June 17, 2010 02:23AM
marina Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hey!
> the address is the following: (as i'm not native
> speaker i tend to do some spelling mistakes)
>
> New York - Brooklyn - Stuyvesant Heights - 11233
> Nostrand Avenue
> Macdonough Street
>
> we found it through an agency which is called
> urban living international. this is their
> website:
>
> [www.nycityapartment.com]
>
> thank your for your answers!

Great post! It's very nice. Thank you so much for your post.

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 3?
Online Users

Guests: 7