best place for a family to live in NYC?

Posted by Sophie 
Hi! I've been having this irresistible urge to move to NYC, I want to start researching for the best place for a family with two small children to live, my husband is a science teacher(secondary education) and I am a graphic designer...any suggestions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2010 12:36PM by (n/a).
If your children can share a room and you're into that artsy, homey vibe, I would recommend finding a cozy, lovely 2-bedroom in the West Village. It's not the area for high-rise doorman luxury apartment buildings, but it is the area for low-rise townhouses, small boutiques, cobblestone streets, and the best restaurants in the city.

If you want to go in the other direction and are into finding more space and a luxury building, I'd recommend the Upper East Side. It's family oriented, with tree-lined streets, and has all of the stores you could possibly need. It has more mass appeal, as the buildings are all high rises and there's a drug store on every corner, whereas the village is more charming with family-owned businesses and the like.

If you're sending your children to private school, the Upper East Side will likely be closer to wherever you want to send them. If you want to rent a 3-bedroom in the Upper East Side that's relatively close to the subway, you can expect to pay between $4,000 to $6,000 per month. Dial that down by a grand if you're only looking for a 2-bed (of course you could wind up paying much more than that if you so choose). If you want a more unique place in the village, you will probably spend a bit less, but get much less space. You're really paying for the neighborhood.

I would say the village has a more 'hip' feel and the upper east side has a more 'posh' feel. Think Friends v. Gossip Girl (though those are huge generalizations). Funky celebrities tend to house in the West Village, where old money families tend to house on the UES - though closer to 5th avenue and Park avenue. You would probably find yourself closer to 3rd or 2nd avenue (all depending on your price range, of course), and this is where a lot of post-collegiates wind up.

Hope this helps.
Are you insane (person who answered this question)? Are you absolutely insane? A middle school teacher and a "graphic designer" living in the west village or upper east side? With two children? Going to private school? STUDProxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

S, with no bedrooms, cost $3,000-$4,000 per month...private school on the UES runs at least $30,000-$40,000 per year. So, where on god's green earth are these people going to get an income of $200,000 + - for their minimum expenses (before FOOD) - to live in these neighborhoods??

Beware, people who asked this question. The person who answered *does not live in New York* - they watch TV shows about New York.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 12 plus 15?
Online Users

Guests: 10