Mobile Phones

Posted by english shopper 
Mobile Phones
February 28, 2010 02:01AM
I appreciate this topic has been covered before, but in the fast paced world of modern technology,I was wondering if someone could help with a query.

I'm due to go to Vegas and San Francisco in April (33 big sleeps to go!) and was thinking about purchasing a No Contract Mobile Phone. Is there a network that can be recommended that will also allow me to use the phone in New York whenI make my annual pilgrimage there, and what are the rules regarding top up? I seem to recall reading somewhere that if you don't keep the phone topped up youlose the number or sim card? If this is so, is it eay to buy a sim card when I return? I only want the phone for emergencies, and with a the cheapest phone only $20 from Best Buy - not everyone's favourite store, I know!- (the first UK store opens very soon inthe UK!) it just seems a cheaper option than using a UK phone and paying international rates to make calls and send sms messages.

Many thanks ES
Oracle?
Re: Mobile Phones
February 28, 2010 09:16AM
If you only want it to use in the U.S., go to Radio Shack and get a "Go-Phone" program from AT&T. My phone was around $20, and I only pay when I use the phone. It costs $1 a day plus .10 a minute. I put $25 on at a time, and it lasts for three months. It's a much better deal than anything the other carriers have. But it doesn't work internationally.
March 01, 2010 08:42AM
Do you mean I can't make and receive international calls, or that I won't be able to use it in th eUK. If it's the latter I won't be too fussed....I only need it for emergencies in case anyone wants me in desperation.
Oracle?
March 01, 2010 08:46AM
I'm pretty sure you can't make or receive int'l calls. But check with AT&T directly, they may have other Go-Phone options.

By the way, I dealt with Radio Shack instead of the AT&T stores, which are staffed by idiots.
March 01, 2010 10:33PM
I have the same as Oracle, we have 2 and still keep them topped up. I think AT&T have an option for international calls. I can't remember if we had that or not, will test them out when we get back to NY in June.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 13 plus 13?
Online Users

Guests: 26