New York in April

Posted by Léa 
New York in April
January 31, 2010 03:20PM
Hi! We're a family with two Teens (17 and 19) from Switzerland and are planning to spend a week in New York.
We would love to come in April, could you recommend this time of the year? Or is it too cold then? There are friends of us who said New York in April is wonderful.
Also I would like you to tell me, what else you could recommend us with our kids besides the usual sightseeing... Which restaurants should we go, where else should we go..I'm sure you have a few ideas.
Thanks in advance and if you ever come to Switzerland I'll have tons of recommendations :-))! Regards, Léa
Oracle?
Re: New York in April
January 31, 2010 03:51PM
If you can choose, I would opt for late May, June or July. April is "iffy" weather-wise -- it's usually a rainy month, and nothing is in bloom yet. The city is so much prettier with leaves on the trees.

I would pick up a couple of guide books, and let each family member choose their top few sights. Then plot everything out on a map so you can focus on one or two neighborhoods each day.

What kinds of things do you like?
February 01, 2010 05:32AM
Thank you for your answer. Your idea sounds great!
Unfortunately we don't have vacation in May. First we planned coming in July but then I'm sure it's pretty hot, isn't it! If we would come in July, we'd spend some time at the beach, too (Fire Island?). What do you think about that?

You're asking what we like:
Well our daughter and I love Musicals, so we definitely will go there.
OUr son is a metal freak, loves the band "Dream Theater" and is a great guitarist and my husband loves to go out for dinner...
Oracle?
February 01, 2010 12:38PM
I think July is the best time to come to New York. Yes, it can get hot, but it's rarely unbearable, and the days are long, so more time to be outside. There are so many outdoor events in July though, many of them free. Free theater, music, dance, even free outdoor movies.

The 2010 schedules aren't listed yet, but here are a few sites you can browse for last year's highlights. It'll give you an idea of what kinds of programs they offer.

[www.rivertorivernyc.com]

[www.summerstage.org]
I love SummerStage. Even if the venue is small, you can do what I do -- bring a blanket and picnic and park yourself just outside the venue. Great music to picnic by. Your son would enjoy the concerts here, particularly the international music.

[www.centralparknyc.org]
Again, no schedules are posted, but there are links at the bottom of this page that you can bookmark for music schedules. The Met Opera and the NY Philharmonic perform mega-concerts in mid July.

Also, do a web search for when your son's favorite bands are playing. Everyone comes to New York eventually!

I'm not a big beach person, but there are plenty of beaches in the area. I think the nicest that's easily reached by public transport is Long Beach. The Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) has info on one-day beach getaways, but it's only posted in season.
February 10, 2010 03:55PM
April can be an "iffy" month in terms of weather, but there is so much indoors to do as well (museums, dining, shows), you will hopefully be able to plan around it.

Here some April NYC Activities, along with a selection month by month (in case you change your plans). There is also a free downloadable guide.

Hope that helps! Have a great trip.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 6?
Online Users

Guests: 7