formal yet not TOO expensive

Posted by Kathy 
formal yet not TOO expensive
July 20, 2005 06:59PM
So, I've been surfing the web for a couple hours now & STILL haven't found exactly what I'm looking for! Finally, in desperation, I just typed "ask a New Yorker" into my browser (not knowing there was a website!)&...

Here's the thing. My husband & I will be going to NYC for the first time ever to celebrate our 35th anniversary. I've also never been to an opera before, so we plan to "do it up brown" & go to the opening night of a new production of the opera "Capriccio" in long dress & tux. The performance is early - 6:30 - so I need 2 things: (1) a restaurant near Lincoln Center that will respect theater times (assuming we eat before) and where we won't feel over-dressed. Then (2) a romantic club we can go afterwards without changing clothes, and where we can see the city lights. This night will also be our LAST night in NYC - & so it's important to pick the right places!

I think a nightime BOATRIDE to see the lights would be neat alternative to a club - but is there a more formal & sophisticated alternative to the Circle Line?

Oh, and I need to stay in the moderate to low-expensive price range for all!

Hopefully there are some places exactly like I'm looking for. Thanks for your help!!
Betoracle
Re: formal yet not TOO expensive
July 21, 2005 09:25AM
I've never done a dinner cruise, but here are some options you can look at. I'd suggest tripadvisor.com for reviews, or even do a google search to see what others think of them.

[www.worldyacht.com]
[www.spiritcitycruises.com]
[www.spiritcitycruises.com]

As for dining before the show, there are options right nearby. Lots of other diners will be there for opening night, so you won't be overdressed. Besides, it's typical to see people all decked out near Lincoln Center.

I'll put these in the order I'd suggest:

Picholine
Jean Georges
Cafe des Artistes
Fiorello's Cafe
O'Neals
Josephina

You're also a few blocks away from the new AOL Time Warner Building, with New York's top restaurants:

Asiate
Per Se
Cafe Gray
Masa
V Steakhouse

It sounds like you're planning a very very special evening!
July 21, 2005 09:28AM
Cafe des Artistes - 67/Central Park West. Old school, romantic, French. This is it.

I also like Gabriel's - 60 (Columbus/Bway) Italian bistro. Prob not formal enough though. (You would not look out of place wearing a cocktail dress here - is that type of level.)
July 21, 2005 04:50PM
Dear NYC'ers

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me! Betoracle:I will definitely check out those dinner cruises, and you have LOTS of other good suggestions, too.

Blue: You're the second one to mention 'Cafe des Artistes' so I'm very interested in it. I DO want to have French cuisine during my stay in your city, too!

Thanks again for giving me direction in my surfing, & I'm very pleased that few NyC'ers will think our formal wear strange - esp. near Lincoln Center!

I welcome anyone else's tips, & can hardly wait to visit The Big Apple.

Kathy
July 21, 2005 05:12PM
for another night Payard is a great French place to eat. It is on the Upper East Side. Great food and service. I think the website is payard.com and you can make your reservation online.
July 23, 2005 02:44PM
Thanks, Salsa. The Payard looks so beautiful! Hope we get time to go there, too.

Kathy
The city is such a stress, If ever I would want to celebrate our anniversary, I would save a few, go to Tulum Beach in Mexico and enjoy the weekend there. But since thread is waaay back from 1995 - I just wish you had a great time.

Cheers,

Kara The Explorer
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 13?
Online Users

Guests: 6