Orchard Street on Sundays

Posted by Frances 
Orchard Street on Sundays
August 31, 2009 11:34AM
Hi

Can anyone tell me if Orchard St is still good for shopping? I was in NY a few years ago and went there on a weekday, and there didn't seem to be much in the way of bargains, but it's still mentioned in all the guidebooks. Coming back soon and I wondered if we just went on the wrong day last time? I read there's a market there on Sundays. If not, where's a nice place for a wander on a Sunday morning? Somewhere with a few shops, nice cafes, maybe somewhere good for brunch?

Frances (UK)
Re: Orchard Street on Sundays
August 31, 2009 08:26PM
Back in the days of the Blue Laws, the non-Jews closed their stores on Sunday, whereas the Jews closed their store on Saturday (if you open 7 days a week, you are given a summons to appear in court and pay a fine - $5.00 in 1970).

So if "everything was closed on Sunday" guess who was openned?

So much for the good old days! Most of Orchard Street clothing stores are non-Jew and open seven days a week. The thrill of bargain hunting is gone (at least by me) now that the Blue Laws are gone.

I only get there when I get to the city for lunch at Katz's.
August 31, 2009 11:11PM
I lived in the neighborhood for the last 2 years and havent ever seen any "bargain shopping." However, that area, which is called The Lower East Side, is now being taken over by over-priced boutiques. There are several on Orchard (between Stanton and Houston) as well as on Stanton and on Ludlow Streets.

If you do decide to visit the neighborhood, there are several brunch spots that are amazing. Essex's, Tre, Spitzers, and Bondi Road are all delicious. ALSO, the best cupcake in the city (in my opinion) is at Sugar Sweet Sunshine. If you have time, you must try the pistachio cupcake. Very moist and only $1.50! After visiting the Lower East Side, you can easily walk West towards Soho which has tons of shopping and there you will find a neat market (Young Designer's Market) that has a lot of random items for sale, from jewelry to handmade clothes.

Hope this helps.
September 01, 2009 12:14PM
Thanks very much for your replies, and especially for the brunch recommendations. Our hotel is not too far from Orchard Street so we can easily walk there for brunch and then go on to Soho. And I like the sound of those cupcakes!

Thanks again.

Frances
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 15?
Online Users

Guests: 31