A couple of questions....

Posted by Sailor 
A couple of questions....
August 13, 2009 07:41AM
I will be in the city over Labor Day week-end. What is the weather normally like at that time year?

Also, last time i visited, it was over Thanksgiving week-end 2007. It was my first time to the city and i wanted to see everything i could in the four short days that i had. On the Saturday, we took the hop on hop off bus on the downtown tour. We missed Soho (I can't remember why we didn't get off there). Got off at Greenwich Village. It was very interesting where they left us off at. We made it to Perry St. But never found Washington Square. The driver of the bus advised us not to get off at China town or Little Italy that day. He said it was way to crowded and didn't seem safe. And we spent way too much time at Battery park that it was getting late and dark so we didn't make it off at South Street Seaport. I really want to see all of those places that i missed. But i feel like it would be a waist of time to take the bus tour because i don't want to redo what i already did. Would it be best to just take a cab to those places? I haven't conjured up the courage to take the subway yet. And if so. Where do i want to get dropped off at for each place. For instance. I know that i can tell the driver South Street Seaport and Washington Square. But for China town, Little Italy and Soho. Where do i want to go that is safe and interesting. HELP!!!

Thank you AANY. You all are such a huge help. I feel better just knowing that you are out there. What a wonderful site you have.
Oracle?
Re: A couple of questions....
August 13, 2009 08:19AM
What's your phobia about the subway? That's how 8 million of us get around the city every day. It doesn't require any courage.
August 13, 2009 09:23AM
'The driver of the bus advised us not to get off at China town or Little Italy that day. He said it was way to crowded and didn't seem ' The driver is a knuckle head.
Sailor I'm Kennedy and I run Ask a New Yorker...I'd be happy to show you around ...Just give me me the day your interested in. Give me a call if you like 347-489-8940
August 13, 2009 03:05PM
Sailor,

It's time to conquer your fears. There is NO better way to experience the city than walking and taking the subway.

-Mike
August 13, 2009 05:54PM
Hi Sailor,
I am from Denver and catching the subway is not problem. People are very helpful, the maps are great,and you can purchase 1 ticket to use the whole time you are there.

However an offer from Kennedy is VERY SPECIAL and I would take him up on it. Those of us who know him, call him The Mayor.

Just in case his schdule does not jibe with yours, catch the subway, and do lots of walking too. Walking is the best way to see NYC. The bus is great too as you are above ground.

Enjoy your stay
August 13, 2009 10:12PM
Hi All,

Thank you for all of your comments.

To answer all of your questions about the subway...i guess the only fear that i have is the unknown.
I have lived in a small suburb outside of Milwaukee WI my whole life and we don't have subways here.
But you all talked me into it. I will take a subway on my visit in three weeks just so that i can tell you that i did it. I know when i get off i will probably say..."That wasn't so bad. Lets do it again".

We spent eight hours walking around the city last time. It was amazing. We were exhausted that night but it was well worth it.

Kennedy, I would love it if you wouldn't mind showing us around Little Italy and Chinatown. That is a wonderful offer. I wouldn't want to put you out at all tho. We will be in the city from the evening on Sept. 2ND thru the 6Th. So if Thursday, Friday or Saturday would work for you? If i remember correctly, your wife is from Waukesha. That is only about 10 minutes from my home. If there is anything that i can bring you from Milwaukee just let me know. Please don't feel obligated. And to think that the people in the Midwest think that New Yorkers are rude. Honestly, they are the nicest people that i have ever met.
August 14, 2009 05:53AM
Hi Sailor,
How does Fri @ 9am sound? We can meet at Union Sqaure in front of the George Washington statue. I'll give you the world wind tour... Send me an email with your cell.
kennedy@AskaNewYorker.com
Kelly loves Jacks Pizzasmiling smiley
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 12 plus 21?
Online Users

Guests: 20