Upper Yorkville Suites

Posted by mattman 
Upper Yorkville Suites
April 21, 2008 12:49AM
I have not seen any reviews for this "inn" (www.upperyorkvillesuites.com) on 3rd Ave between 103rd and 104th street. This is probably because it is new. It looks nice and the rate is better than almost anywhere else in Manhattan. It was recommended by the Owners of Bubba & Bean since they were full and it is around the way from their place. I told my uncle (who lives on 72nd) the location and he thought I should stay away. I have been to New York before and have used the subway quite a bit, so the location is fine in that respect (subway station is a block away). On google map's street view it appears to be next to a McDonalds and above a hardware store. Should I assume that what I have read about the neighborhood's safety in the Bubba & Bean threads would apply to this location too? At night - walk with a purpose - head up and eyes down a few degrees!
Red
Re: Upper Yorkville Suites
April 21, 2008 08:05AM
Anyone who calls 103rd Street "Upper Yorkville" is already on my hit list. I hope the proprietors get beaten up by some locals who have some pride in EL BARRIO, which is the frickin' neighborhood they're in, not this "Upper Yorkville" BS.

I can't believe it that further the Web page describes them as "on the Upper East Side" and not in EL BARRIO, EAST HARLEM, the neighborhood that they aren't even on the edge of but SEVEN BLOCKS NORTH of the southern border of. Now, it may be a fine lodging but I HATE real estate scumbags who are trying to literally WHITEwash the affordable neighborhoods of our city with these kinds of lies.

More relevantly: It's a formerly working class neighborhood in transition. Mostly safe, still the occasional bodega robbery.
April 21, 2008 04:31PM
Thanks Red.
Has anyone ventured 3rd ave. above 96th recently?
How is the gentrification progressing?
Oracle?
April 21, 2008 07:53PM
I'm up above 96th all the time, but over west a few blocks, along 5th, Madison and Park, in the area called Carnegie Hill (which is bordered by 86th and ~104th). It's a wealthy area, very pretty, very nice. Then there's the big Mount Sinai Medical Center at 101-103 between 5th & Madison, and across the street are public housing projects. I've been there a zillion times, but never at night. Now, I'm saying this without having seen the place you're talking about, but I would think it would be fine.

Is your uncle warning you because he has firsthand knowledge of the block?
JJ
April 22, 2008 04:43PM
To all of you that do not know about Upper Yorkville.

I live in this area, and while a few years ago it was called Spanish Harlem; the Real Estate boards have realized that people constantly dwell on the old negative stigma that carries along with the name Spanish Harlem.

Similar to those new neighbourhood names like Central Park North, Pleasentville etc (all of which is the middle of Harlem w/ condos starting at $900 a square foot). All of these places are located in the middle of "Harlem". But, do not want to be associated with the name and the stigma that goes with it. So the result; well change the boundry name. You have East 124 street condo complex being called The Bridges. So all areas in Harlem are identify with different areas - and for good reason!

The Condo Buildings (yes there are over 11 huge buildings) on Lex bordering 106 and 96 from 3rd to Park are all being marketed at Upper Yorkville.

So they are within there right to call themselves UpperYorkville. There is also a website in development that will service this area a(culture, businesses etc)

For all of you that continue to see Harlem as a place you should not go --- you might want to educate yourselves by venturing there. It is because of the negative stigma that is constantly being pushed that the neighbourhood is forced to move away from the name "Harlem" and remove the old culture that exist through reclassification.

[www.corcoran.com]
April 22, 2008 08:27PM
Sometimes I think it's all about Real Estate values. My house in Sydney is in a little beachside area called Clovelly, when I moved there over 31 years ago it was an extremely small neighbourhood on a beach very close to the city (15 minute drive to the Opera House and Harbour Bridge) but as it became more popular and trendy it grew, it has doubled in size since then.
Red
April 22, 2008 08:54PM
JJ makes me sick.

I think the key line in his phrase is, "the neighbourhood is forced to move away from the name "Harlem" and remove the old culture that exist through reclassification."

Let me repeat ... "and remove the old culture." And all the old people. Because there's no room for the working class in Manhattan any more. "The neighborhood" isn't doing this - in fact, "the neighborhood," the people who ALREADY live there, aren't thrilled about the encroachment of condos they couldn't possibly afford.

"The neighborhood" is being driven out, and the "culture" is being "removed."

By the way, there's no "u" in "neighborhood" if you're an American. We say "neighborhood" and, most importantly, where you live, we say "barrio."

If you want to live in a "neighbourhood" full of rich expats, go to the West Village.
April 22, 2008 10:17PM
Sorry about my spelling Red, but that is how we spell it in Oz and the UK for that matter.

I agree with you about forcing the older people out and not making room for them, that is exactly what has happened in my area in Sydney, my children and their friends cannot hope to ever buy in that area, even to rent is now out of their reach.

My hairdresser lives in the area here in NY that you are referring to and she was telling me last week that there are a lot of people from overseas, most particularly Germany, buying properties there and forcing many of the locals out.
April 23, 2008 02:02AM
Wow - looks like I have started a holy war.
My uncle hasn't shared any first hand knowledge, just described above 96th as "sketchy" and "dicey" and warns not to be out on the street at night. I will be pioneering the area and the suites soon and will provide my honest observations and feelings here.
Red
April 23, 2008 07:08AM
Oh no, Marea, I didn't mean to insult you. You're Australian and proudly so. You can spell it "neighbourhood" all you like. I was referring to JJ.
Jay
April 26, 2008 06:57AM
[nymag.com]
Here is a little article in New York Magazine about Yorkville
I live in Yorkville close to the east river. I find this argument all very interesting since my grandfather grew up in a 100% Italian neighborhood in what is now termed 'El Barrio'. The neighborhoods change. In his day not one person spoke English in his building on 116th and first, only Italian. Anyone who claims to own the area for their culture is delusion.

The area just south of 103rd is full of wealthy families who spend big bucks to send their kids to very expensive and very old private schools in the 90s. There are a lot of shops, brownstones and restaurants from 86th up to 96th. Since I live here and used to work in the 120s, I have walked in the 100s from the park to the river every time of the day and night and there is absolutely nothing scary about it. If you've been there and think so then you are not a new yorker.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 25 plus 8?
Online Users

Guests: 6