Visiting NYC - ideas on what to do.

Posted by Ed Herrera 
We are 2 couples in our early 30's, the 2 men have been friends since middle school; and the wifes became very close friends as well. We both have kids. and we live very far from eachother (one couple in Costa Rica, the other in Orlando, FL). so we only see eachother about 2 times a year.

This year we managed to get a trip together for the big apple the first week of may, and we're not bringing any of the kids. We're staying in an apartment on central park west (83rd st). I'm looking for ideas, both for daytime also nighttime, mild to wild, of what to do to fill those 5 days in NYC (including a weekend). This is a grownup trip, we've all been to NY at one time or another, but there are tons of tourist stuff that we have not done yet. We like everything from dining out, dancing, listening to music, etc...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thank you !!

ed
Oracle?
Re: Visiting NYC - ideas on what to do.
April 09, 2008 06:32PM
Pick up a copy of Time Out New York to see what's going on and who's performing while you're here.
I previously lived about 5 blocks from where you are staying! It's a great neighborhood!! Here are a few ideas...

1) You are REALLY close to the American Museum of Natural History (featured in the movie "Night at the Museum" with Ben stiller...if you haven't seen it, rent it!) This will be a good day for you and the kids...very, very interesting.

2) Take a day trip up to the Broadway area and Times Square...Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, The Empire State Building, and Ground Zero can all be seen in a day if you try. Not sure with kids, though, as I don't know how old your kids are. Take the subway. It's the quickest way to get there from the upper west side, and you are right at the subway entrance.

3) The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are another day trip. I would hop a bus for this. Or a cab. This is another great way to spend an afternoon.
4) You absolutely MUST hit SoHo!! ANYWHERE is fun!

5) Sorry. I don't know what's really hot there anymore for evening entertainment...so much has changed....but I would suggest going to www.nyhotspots.com for a review of the latest clubs and restaurants. They have some great reviews on there, and you know...depends on when you are coming to see what bands are playing at what venues.

6) HAVE FUN!!
Watch YOU GOT MAIL before you go, and then enjoy your neighborhood even more.

Have dinner at Cafe con Leche on Amsterdam. Quick breakfast at Zabar's.
Ed Hererra
Re: Visiting NYC - ideas on what to do.
April 18, 2008 02:01PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. Actually, you got mail is the first movie my wife and myself saw together when we first met. so that's a good idea!. I dont know if i was not clear, but we are going to NY WITHOUT the kids. so this is an adult vacation. no rugrats around.

regards,

ed
Walking in Central Park is gorgeous ... good for you ... & free!

Also, for evening entertainment, I'd recommend going to see Wicked at the Gershwin Theatre .. fab!
For the first week in May, you're going to be out of luck for Wicked, unless you want to pay for pricey premium seats. But definitely look into a Broadway show! Try BroadwayBox.com for discounted tickets.

One of our favorite evening activities is a concert at Jazz at Lincoln Center. In addition to the "mainstage" concerts, they also have Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola. www.jalc.org

There are some great restaurants near your hotel. We love Brother Jimmy's (BBQ dive) and Fred's (cozy, great brunch). If you have nice weather, you're also close to Zabar's (80th and Broadway), a great gourmet food store perfect for Central Park picnic food.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 16?
Online Users

Guests: 4