Safety travelling from Shea Stadium

Posted by marxman 
Safety travelling from Shea Stadium
January 22, 2006 09:43PM
I will be travelling to New York in June this year. We will be staying on West 77th street.

I want to catch a Mets game on the 19th of June and the game is at night (7:10pm). I assume it is but:

- is it relatively safe to catch the subway from Shea Stadium back to 77th street at approximately midnight (when the game is finished);

Also - is there much to do (ie: restaurants, attractions) near 77th and Broadway?

Thanks for all your help in advance!
Re: Safety travelling from Shea Stadium
January 22, 2006 10:52PM
There is plenty to do at 77 and Broadway. Tons. The 7 train takes you over to Shea stadium from Times Sq or Grand Central. Get an express 7 to the stadium, after the game, it is quite safe. I take the 7 all the time and feel that it is safer than most lines. Good luck!
January 22, 2006 10:54PM
It is a safe trip by subway. Take the number one train at the Broadway and 79 Street stop downtown to Times Square/42 Street stop. Transfer to the number 7 train to Shea stadium. There are many restaurants in that neighborhood. What type of food do you like and what is your budget?
January 23, 2006 12:30AM
I like a diverse range of food so i really would eat anything!

I would prefer mid priced to budget food but if there were some can't miss expensive restaurants near by i would probably make an exception!
Stop at 74th St-Broadway in Jackson Heights Queens for a wide array of amazing food.
January 23, 2006 11:22PM
These restaurants which are in my neighborhood are a bit uptown from where you will be staying--15 minute walk or 5 minutes on subway or bus. They are all moderate priced, good value/food places.

Sipan 702 Amsterdam 94 Street 212-665-9929-Peruvian-very good food, nice atmosphere, quite during the week, a little noisier on weekends.

Gennaro 665 Amsterdam 92/93 Streets - very good food-Italian-very hectic does not take reservations or credit cards-get there early for seating.

Docks 2427 Broadway 89/90 Streets 212-986-8080 OK fish, excellent oysters, lively but not hectic.

Saigon Grill 620 Amsterdam 90 Street good Vietnamese-inexpensive-a bit hectic and noisy

Pampa 768 Amsterdam 97/98 Streets 212-865-2929 good grilled Argentinean steak. Crowded. No credit cards.

Alouette 2588 Broadway 97/98 Streets 212-222-6808 decent neighborhood French. Small. Make reservations.

Yuki Sushi 656 Amsterdam 92 Street 212-787-8200 Excellent quality of fish in sushi and sashimi. Moderate price for quality Japanese. Sushi lunch with salad or soup is less than $11.

Miyako 642 Amsterdam 91 Street 212-724-3448 About as good as Yuki Sushi and everything is $1-$1.50 less

Acqua 718 Amsterdam 94/95 Streets 212-222-2752 reasonably priced good Italian (Sicilian and Sardinian) in nice setting.

Pizzabolla 654 Amsterdam 92 Street 212-579-4500 Old style “checkered tablecloth” Italian with very reasonably priced good food. Good antipasti, entrees, brick-oven pizza and good selection of reasonable priced wine by the bottle and glass.
January 24, 2006 07:12PM
On 78th and Broadway is La Caridad, one of the last of the famous Cuban-Chinese restaurants that were incredibly popular for many years in NY. It doesn't look like much, and the Chinese menu is only so-so, but their Cuban is very good and really cheap. There's the original Ruby Foo's for Asian cuisine, also on Broadway. Lots more restaurants along Amsterdam and Columbus. Take a look at menupages.com for reviews of these UWS favorites -- Isabella's, Ocean Grill, City Grill, Pasha, Penang, Hunan Park, Josie's, Louie's Westside Cafe, Haru, Barney Greengrass, Sarabeth's, EJ's Luncheonette, Artie's, Ouest, Ollie's, Pappardella, Aegean, Gray's Papaya and dozens more.

What I like about the UWS is that it's mostly non-touristy, lots of great shops and restaurants, very good for public transit access. Yes, the subway is fine getting back and forth to Shea Stadium. It's still crowded at midnight, so no worries there. And the streets are lively with locals. Also right near Central Park and Riverside Park. Perfect for June.

You're also right near our favorite grocer, Fairway, on Broadway and 74th-75th. Stop by their second floor cafe -- it's not pretty, but the food's very good and quite reasonable. And of course Zabar's is probably the most famous appetizing store in the universe! They're at Broadway and 80th St.

There are lots of local pubs, plus the Barnes & Noble book stores are open until around 11:00 or midnight and they've all got cafes in them. Very nice to spend some time there.
Cuban restaurants
April 06, 2006 09:08PM
I'm looking for a good Cuban restaurant not too far from Shea. Any suggestions?

Cuban restaurants
April 06, 2006 09:09PM
I'm looking for a good Cuban restaurant not too far from Shea. Any suggestions?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 6 plus 14?
Online Users

Guests: 5