302West 22nd street

Posted by Alessandra 
Alessandra
302West 22nd street
August 31, 2005 04:26AM
Hi,I'd like to recive any information about Chelsea.
I discovery an hotel (Allerton Hotel) in 302West 22nd street, it's very nice and less expensive.
How is it this district to visit Ny?
Thanks
Alessandra
Kelly M
Re: 302West 22nd street
August 31, 2005 06:34AM
that area is a good area. Lots of clubs, restaurants, bars, art galleries nearby. I don't know that hotel, though. Let us know how it is.
Art
August 31, 2005 07:44AM
[www.themaritimehotel.com]
This is a popular spot to check out for a roof top drink. Also Hiro a dance club underneath hotel I hear is worth a look. If your a contemporary art lover Chelsea has become the epicenter for this genre.
August 31, 2005 08:09AM
I don't know anything about the hotel but it would be in the heart of Chelsea on 23rd between 8th and 9th Aves, in fact very close to the corner of 8th. There are lots of great restaurants on 8th Ave around there and the whole area has a great feel to it. It is also very easy to get to anywhere in Manhattan from Chelsea, it's just below midtown and at the top end of downtown, have a wonderful time.
August 31, 2005 12:02PM
Chelsea is a nice area. This is where many gay men live.
(They are called "Chelsea boys" = ragazzi di Chelsea.)

Many years ago, I worked down the street from the Allerton Hotel. There were always some weird-looking people hanging out in front. But I think this is because it is near a laundromat, and laundromats attract sketchy people. I also know it is next to a Subway sandwich shop. They say it is a spacious hotel and popular w Europeans.
August 31, 2005 03:07PM
The area is good but the hotel gets mixed reviews. Look at link below:

[www.tripadvisor.com]
September 06, 2005 06:13PM
Alessandra,

I have lived in Chelsea for the past 7 years just blocks from the Allerton and I would say NO to staying there. Here's the deal. The Chelsea neighborhood used to be pretty rough 12+ years ago. When the gay community got either too big for the West Village and the Village got too pricey, it expanded north above 14th Street into the rough Chelsea area. Soho had the art galleries at that time. As often occurs, after the gay community moved in and started refurbishing buildings, opening shops, etc, other businesses soon followed. At the same time, SOHO was becoming a fashion mall (as it is today) so the art galleries began moving to the "latest hot spot", Chelsea. Today the area is fabulous for restaurants, galleries, shops, bars, and of course beautiful men (mostly gay but not all of course). In fact, now the transition is on again and the area has become so main stream that many young families are moving in.

Now, the Allerton. In the "rough" days the hotel was pretty much a 'flop house', not a desirable place. I don't think the transition of the neighborhood has affected the hotel yet. I often see the drapes and sheets blowing out the open windows, People sleeping on the stoop, drunks in the lobby. Get the picture? The choice is yours, but I would say no.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 5?
Online Users

Guests: 7