NY Visit Labor Day weekend

Posted by mrfaize 
NY Visit Labor Day weekend
July 26, 2005 05:54AM
I am visiting NY for the first time from 1st through 6th September. I see that Labor Day is the 5th Sept but I think the parade is the 10th.

A few questions please:

1. What will be open on this day (shops, restaurants, museums etc.)?
2. Does the subway run a holiday service?
3. Will the Staten Island ferry run a normal or holiday service?
4. Will NY be busier (restaurants) than normal on this day or do people stay at home.
5. I guess the financial offices are closed on this day. We were thinking of visiting the financial district on the Monday - any problems?

6. We are thinking of visiting Empire State Building on Friday. I hear sunset time is nice but also heard that it can get busy through out the day. I would rather avoid queues so is early morning better to avoid the rush? I see I can buy tickets in advance - does this reduce queueing time?

Many Thanks (so many places, so many questions, so little time!)

Faize
Re: NY Visit Labor Day weekend
July 26, 2005 09:09AM
Not sure about opening times for those days but I would imaginge most would be okay. The ferry service should be as usual and the financial district will be closed but you can walk around there without any problems. It is better to buy tickets to the Empire State Building online as they will definitely shorten lines.
Leo
July 26, 2005 10:23AM
During federal holidays, the subway lines run on ja holiday schedule. All government offices (including Post Office) will be closed. As far as stores and restaurants are concerned, most of them are always open in New York. Unlike Europe, everything is open in America all the time.

The center of the city is always busy -- holiday or not. I guess some areas (like Park Avenue, Avenue of the Americas, Wall St) will be much more quiet during the holday because these are business areas where many people work.

Holiday is the best day to visit the financial district because you will only encounter tourists and it will be easy to walk and enjoy the area which is very beautiful. On the other hand, some cafes and restaurants in the financial district will be closed.
July 26, 2005 02:54PM
Thanks guys for the replies. UK unlike Europe IS open most of the time. Shops are open 7 days a week in towns and cities. Supermarkets are open 24 hours in many places. There were even complaints why our largest supermarket chain was not open on Christmas day in some areas!!

Schedule so far
Arrive Thu pm Wander around Central Park to stretch legs after long flight
Fri Midtown, Chelsea ESB usual tourist spots (Flatiron Macys Grand Central Stn)
Sat Shopping (any suggestions??)
Sun the village, tribeca area, Little Italy,
Mon Financial district, Battery Park SI ferry, Brooklyn Bridge, China town.
Tue Intrepid S-A-S Museum, a little free time before 9pm flight.

Anything I've missed - I think I'll save the museums for next time!

Thanks again.
Leo
July 27, 2005 03:17PM
Around Central Park, visit Upper East Side (Lexington Avenue, 3rd Avenue, Park Avenue, Madison at 60-70s streets). It's a rich and beautiful area with cute shops, expensive and not so expensive restaurants. 2nd and 1st Avenues between 70s and 80s streets are very active with lots of bars and restaurants. Park Avenue is grand and interesting 3rd avenue and Lexington are filled with beautiful residentian and commercial buildings, many of them are very tall (you will see canyons of skyskrapers).

Upper West Side is a beautiful area on the west side of the Central Park. Just get to Broadway and 66th Street (next to Lincoln Center) and walk uptown. Or, take a walk along Central Park West. Many famous people live here. Some buildings are amazing (like Dakota where John Lenon used to live...). Upper West Side is also a very happening place, especially in the 70s street area (Amsterdam Ave, Columbus Ave, Broadway) - full of shops and restaurants and interesting people.

Don't shop on Saturday because you will really fight the crowds. Since you are a tourist and don't have to go to work, shop during mid-week during the day. Macy's and other department stores are your best bet.

Intrepid museum is nothing special. It's just a big ship. Go to Metropolitan and MOMA instead.

Katie
August 16, 2005 01:06AM
What is happening in New York City area on Labor Day, Monday September 5th? Any suggestions where to go then?
TG
August 16, 2005 10:59AM
Mrfaize,

Dont' go to the Financial District on a holiday or a weekend. The fun part about visiting downtown, Wall Street, etc., is getting a feel for what NY is really like when it's fully functioning. The area on holidays and weekends is deserted, lonely and boring. You will have a lot more fun going there on Friday. Save Central Park for the weekend when it's filled with the very same workers relaxing on their days off.

The city will be quieter on Labor Day weekend. In order to beat long lines at the Empire State Building go on its website and buy tickets in advance. You will save hours (literally) than if you had to line up that day and bought tickets, there.
August 16, 2005 11:55AM
I concur with TG!

Central Park on the weekend is a blast. Especially on the mall where all the skaters are.
August 16, 2005 11:57AM
Thanks for the advice. I will look at our schedule and maybe move the planned days around.

Central Park is definately Thursday though after a 8 hour flight across the pond.

Cheers
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 6 plus 6?
Online Users

Guests: 9